Washing fleece

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 pm

I ended up getting a couple of those jumbo pet bags to wash the fleece in. (I got two so that the washer doesn't become unbalanced.) I wash them with plain unscented "free and clear" detergent, never any fabric softener. I put liberal amounts of white vinegar in the wash cycle and a little in the rinse cycle, too. Then, after the cycle is finished, I take them out of the laundry bags, go over them with a lint roller to get most of the hair and hay bits off, and put them back in (often without the laundry bags this time) for an extra rinse. They come out completely fresh and stain-free, though never quite 100% hair free.

I have never used bleach. Vinegar gets them clean. I do often run a blank hot water cycle with a little bleach to sanitize the washer before washing our clothes in there. I also always wipe down the inside of the washer with a wet cloth or paper towel, because it seems like a few hairs always find their way in into the washer, though the laundry bags do help cut way down on it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 pm

I'd be willing to bet that your vinegar and soap are cancelling each other out in the wash cycle and that you're not getting much benefit from either one of them. Vinegar is an acid, soap is a base, and they'll neutralize each other.

You might get more bang for your buck by putting the vinegar in the rinse cycle only, or by doing a pre-wash with vinegar and then the regular cycle with soap.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Hm, that’s interesting. I’ll try limiting the vinegar to the rinse cycle

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am

Hello all! It's been almost a year since I've posted here last.

There are fleece bags you can buy on amazon that have zippers. They work wonders. They cost about 25$ USD and they saved my washing machine!

SSLee

Post   » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:47 am

I have several silicone brushes purchased from Amazon. However, my favorite one is part of a brush and dustpan set that I bought at a local discount Ross store for only $3.99. The silicone dustpan brush isn't that easy to find at such a low price and I should have bought an extra. Also, if there is a Daiso Japanese store near you, they carry a silicone pet brush for only $1.50 and it works quite well also.

PippathePig85

Post   » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you SSLee!

joolzy

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:34 pm

RomeandSmores1, do you have a link to those fleece bags?