Suburban Chicago IL looking to rehome 3 girls

joolzy

Post   » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Due to one of our "boys" unexpected pregnancy, we have (2) 3 week old girls and their mom who is 5, nearly 6 months. They are all short haired. Mom is very gentle, docile and sweet!đź’– I want her to be loved! It's not her fault she was mis-sexed as a boy, right? Unfortunately we have to keep it an all male guinea pig home. We don't have room to have a separate female cage. Her babies are adorable. One is all white, the other ginger and white.

My preference is they stay together or mom goes to a home that has a guinea pig there for company, and the babies stay together.

You can email me for pictures at joolzy74@yahoo.com

Cross posted at guineapigfinder and local ad.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 pm

Good luck finding great homes for them!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:48 am

Yes, good luck! And remember that "free to a good home" is a very bad idea. Especially for the babies. I'd recommend finding out what the local pet stores charge for their guinea pigs, knock a few bucks off and charge that for a rehoming fee. If you feel bad about charging, you can donate the money to the animal shelter. Read the tread at the top of this forum.

joolzy

Post   » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 am

Yes, there will definitely be a rehoming fee as well as needing to know how they will be housed, fed, etc plus what other pets are in the home.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Excellent. I'd also make sure there are no plans to breed (not that a potential breeder would be honest about it, but it doesnt hurt to ask and see what kind of response you get).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:53 am

Yes. Very smart of you.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:53 pm

You could consider including a printout of the Cavy Care Guide here

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy_orig.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:32 pm

We also have a pamphlet you can print (free). Over the years, it has been used by a few rescues, vet's offices, and SPCAs.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pamphlet.html

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Would you be willing to sell the cage they are in? I have the space but not the money for a brand new cage. I'm located in Peoria, so not too far from you. I would not split them up, and I'd recommend that you put in you post that they stay together since females usually do fine in trios and they are already bonded. Finding another piggy that the mother gets along with may be more difficult than it seems because they all have such different personalities.

joolzy

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:18 pm

I'm currently keeping them in a c&c cage that once they're fully grown will not be big enough for 3. That's the problem. It's 3 FT x 2 FT. I whipped it together when I had to separate the mom from the boys when she had her babies. So, I don't think what they're currently in would be realistic long term at all.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 pm

A C&C cage should be relatively easy to expand if required you just need a few extra grids and connectors and a bit of Cloroplast. I have done that a few times with ours.

joolzy

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:53 pm

I'm just explaining to the poster inquiring about buying the current cage as is. Of course it can be expanded but the poster mentions money being an issue so I'm not sure that is an option financially for them to expand it when it becomes necessary. If I had extra panels and chloroplast to send along, I'd be happy to but as it is right now, I've pretty much used up any extra I had for the new cage I threw together for the mom/babies. So, it's really dependent on if they feel they can afford to expand it when it is needed which would be prbly be a matter of 4 or so panels and corrugated plastic.