Medical Topic for Oswald

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Well I’m back sooner than I had hoped. I noticed Oswald didn’t eat all his hay from last night and he didn’t touch any of what I gave him this morning. He just would kinda play with it. When it was veggie time he squealed loud like he was hungry he ate the lettuce but left the bell pepper. Gonna give him some metoclopranide and CC and call the vet to see if I can bring him in the morning. I’m thinking maybe the infection didn’t completely die but he was doing so good and he’s gained weight, just feeling a little frustrated but hopefully I can get it taken care of for good this time

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:43 am

After his first dose of metoclopranide and cc I put him back in the cage and he immediately started pooping. Then he started eating some hay and drinking water. It’s a relief but My guts telling me I should still take him in for a check up

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 pm

He seems to be eating more on his own today. Took him in for urinalysis and urine culture just in case

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:58 pm

What were the results?

piggypatrol

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Haven’t gotten them yet should be within a few days but she did say his urine was mostly clear with some cloudiness

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Got the results back and he is infection free, no blood like last time and signs of infection. Only thing she said was his calcium was a little high but could be something on his diet. He has been eating good so dunno why that one day he wouldn’t eat. Guess I jumped the fun but glad he’s ok

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Well, as the old saying goes..."better safe than sorry."

So glad to hear he seems to be doing better!

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:07 am

So it seems a pattern seems to be happening. He is fine for 3 to 4 weeks and then just one day he stops pooping and loses appetite, just happened again. Could it be because he’s getting on in age? He is 4 now

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:36 am

Check for impaction. We have had a few older males who were prone to having a clogged-up anal sac. It would always affect appetite when that happened.

We currently have a male who is prone to bloating and slow motility, and is on a low daily dose of Metoclopramide. He will suddenly stop eating and producing poops when he has one of these episodes, which seem random but happens roughly every 3-4 weeks. I started to notice that it seems to coincide with a new batch of hay every month. His gut is extremely sensitive to any dietary changes at all.

Has anything at all changed in Oswald's diet in the last day or so? Does he have any stomach distention/bloating?

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:55 pm

He didn’t look impacted and he started pooping a bit after I fed him some cc and gave him a couple doses of metoclopranide. Giving him .5 ml twice a day. He’s eating a bit more on his own. He got a new box of hay a couple weeks ago but he’s been eating it just fine and it’s the same small pet select brand I have been getting. The only thing I can see that possibly would upset his stomach is he sometimes doesn’t eat all his veggies and they stay out while I’m at work and he eats them after they been sitting there for a few hours.

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 pm

I did go on vacation a few days but I gave my parents instructions on how much to feed and I cut up veggies for them and had them in zip lock bags. That’s about the only changes in his diet recently. His coat has been a little poofy sometimes but he doesn’t feel bloated. Any other vitamins besides c I can give him? When I was reading up on impaction the article mentioned a possible lack of vitamin b can cause loss of appetite

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:04 pm

What veggies do you feed him and in what quantity?