The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:02 pm

I'll look for something over the counter for mites. Any suggestions? As far as my finger, the saw chewed it up pretty good. I may still lose the top section of it. We'll have to see how it goes.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:54 pm

It needs to be Ivermectin. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 am

It needs to be Ivermectin.
Many a time I have used puppy and kitten Revolution to great success. Ivermectin is just far too expensive here! To get all 6 piggies done it comes to over $100.00AUD.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:30 am

The pour-on Ivermectin can be purchased at farm & feed stores in the US for around $30. Cheap, effective and easy to dose. It is also available online, often for around $20 or so:

https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/i ... t-supplies

Revolution, on the other hand, requires a prescription.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:33 am

Revolution, on the other hand, requires a prescription.

I have bought this many times of Ebay. Ivermectin here in Australia is only available from a vet and is not cheap! A box of Revolution does all 6 girls and only costs $30-$40.00.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 am

Obviously there can be differences between countries where availability of certain meds is concerned. Every major pet med site in the US that I'm familiar with requires a script for Revolution. If there is a site that doesn't require it, I haven't run across it lately but maybe there are one or two selling it under the radar. I have not seen Revolution on eBay.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:54 am

Everything I've read on Ivermectin suggests that it should be used under the supervision of a qualified vet. I'll take a trip to the feed stores and see if they have the topical solution to put on the affected area. It's a pretty small part on his back, just out of reach for him to scratch by biting at it. He can't get to it with his claws either. Poor little guy. It's not a constant itch as far as I can tell. His appointment is in 3 days.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:22 am

Ivermectin has a long safety and efficacy record for treating mites and lice in a number of large and small animals when used correctly. You will want plain Ivermectin with no other ingredients. Do read the topical dosing chart and dose based on weight.

For the pour-on formula:
https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html

It is suggested that 3 doses are given 7 days apart. If you have any questions on the correct product to use or how to use it, don't hesitate to ask.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Just as an FYI, Revolution is non-prescription in Australia, and much cheaper than Ivermectin. The opposite is true in the U.S. -- Revolution requires a prescription and is far more expensive than ivermectin.

Renonvsparky, ivermectin is very widely used for everything from hamsters to people, and is safe as long as the dosage is carefully calculated and administered. Any ivermectin formulation can be used topically except possibly the oral kind -- topical and injectable definitely can be.

The guidelines for ivermectin use on this site have been here a LONG time without problems, and are consistent with instructions given by vets.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 am

Revolution is non-prescription in Australia, and much cheaper than Ivermectin. The opposite is true in the U.S.
Thank you for the clarification, bpatters. I thought that might be the case. I have used Ivermectin for many years but have only used Revolution once, and it was through my veterinarian (and pricey).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

Renonvsparky, were you clear on all of this?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Yes. The vet did and full spectrum of samples and all came back negative for parasites except for the ringworm. That one has to grow into a culture for about 2 weeks. They're treating with Ivermectin because it treats every known infection of this type. I'm to give him straight children's Benadryl ( no added treatment for cough etc) for the itch and extra vitamin c. His ears were pretty clogged up. Sammy and Dean had the same thing. Must be a humane society thing.