Food

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 am

I used to give at most a small baby carrot per day. Some people believe every other day is preferable.
https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 am

I am not giving her the pellets because of some powdery patches around the cage. The only thing high in calcium (even doe very low)is the pellets.

After a few days, she ate the zucchini the firs day. Ever since then she wont even look at it. Same for the green beans and cherry tomatoes.

I know for a fact she will always eat any bell pepper color, green and red lettuce, cilantro, celery, and carrot.

I used to in the beginning give them romaine and ik she loves it but I stopped because I saw so many white patches but now I kinda wonder if it was the pellets.

I will try cucumber next and see if that entices her. From what I remember correctly, they both loved them.

We will see

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:11 am

Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Most guinea pigs don't really like zucchini. Zucchini, green beans, cucumber, and celery are not very nutritious, in my opinion.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Romaine is the culprit for the white patches.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Yea it was a long time ago I gave her romaine(2 years ago) When I saw the white patches, all she ever had was the pellets which was the highest calcium food so i removed it and replaced it with different veggies but at this time it is trial and error to see what she likes.

That is why I started asking for good veggies to replace the pellets with and the amount so I know I am not, atleast, underfeeding her.

She ignores the cherry tomatoes even cut in half.

And yes I know zucchini and cucumbers is not very nutritious. I think it is cause of the water content.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm

My guys actually like zucchini and the bits of green bean. I offer them for variety, but my chart lists other foods as well.

Ditto romaine as a common culprit for calcium deposits. Remind me...what pellets were you using? It's harder to get adequate vitamins and minerals on veggies and hay alone. Some people do limit or not feed pellets, but there is generally a medical reason for it and one must be careful to avoid a deficiency.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm

I have smart pet select pellets

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 pm

Small Pet Select? They're a little high in calcium, but the source of the calcium is calcium carbonate. That's been anecdotally linked to stones in pigs. I'd go for either Oxbow or KMS Hayloft.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 pm

Really? I never knew. Sef didn't mention that when I mentioned what pellets I used. Maybe he missed it?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:53 am

I mentioned it at great length here, in your other thread about food:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 3#p2305203

This is why it's best to keep similar questions in one topic instead of having multiple ones.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:38 am

Ditto Sef. She knows of what she speaks!

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:58 am

Alright. I usually remember these things but at that time I was good back and forth everyday. Apologies.

And yes she is very picky with certain veggies sadly. She ate some cucumbers but ignored them at first so I assume she will ignore them completely next time.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 am

The oxbow pellets you speak of is the essential adult guinea pig (Timothy based) right?

That is the name I see pop up everywhere.