Fasting for 12 hours before surgery?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 am

I wrote KMSHayloft with a couple requests over a week ago and got no reply at all.

I wondered if the pellet ingredient list on the bag is still 100% accurate. I'd like to do a comparison of a handful of the better pellets (our list is really old).

Oh, and I am SO HAPPY to hear he passed the stone! That is wonderful!

On the stones page, there is a reference to shillintong, which is supposed to relax things so stones can pass easier. Keep in mind that shillintong is NOT curative or in any way an alternative to a needed surgery.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Yay! So glad Finn didn't need surgery.

I think water and exercise are both helpful with preventing stones. If he doesn't seem to drink a lot of water, you can wet down his lettuce. You can also syringe feed him extra water and give him fruits and veggies high in water content. Consider giving him floor time if you don't already.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pm

He does love running around our bedroom and how funny you mentioned the syringe feeding water bc I just say down in the couch after giving him 3 syringe fulls if water. He does drink on his own but happens to love syringes! Lucky me as he was a dream the one time he had to be in antibiotics. Ya I'm not going to put him on any meds, just do fewer pellets and lessen the peppers I give him daily I guess?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:59 am

How much pepper had you been giving him?

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

3, 1/4 slices of green, red and orange peppers in the morning and in the evening. He is pretty bummed with the slice or 2 a day I give him now. And a tiny slice of carrot. He is small, but he can pack it away and he is active! Also, what is the red and green lettuce actually called? I think a spring mix has too many things that aren't great for him. And someone said no Romain.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Do check out the list I posted. He can get a good variety of veggies that are lower in calcium. Ours like all kinds of things: zucchini, Bibb lettuce, green leaf, carrot "matchsticks," small bits of red/orange/yellow bell peppers, cilantro, etc. I rotate the veggies for variety.

Also look at the Diet page. There is a link on there somewhere called "Favorites" that others have posted.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Thank you!

On a side note, he chokes a lot. Neither of my other girls really ever did. He chokes on veggies, and on pellets. Not just here and there, but often. Today someone told me he chokes a few times, aka coughed hard to be specific, on a pellet, so she chopped them up for him. It's just something that he has been doing since he was little and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their pig.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm

I have. We had a guinea pig with heart issues who sometimes did that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Here is Australia we call the red and green lettuces Oak, mixed and symphony lettuces. But in the USA I know they will be called something else.

Our girls some times cough. It is the cutest but scariest sound ever! So glad he is doing better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm

One of my guinea pigs would eat peppers too fast and cough.

I encourage you to get a scale and weigh one of your slices of pepper. You can get an idea of its nutrient value from the chart on this page (note that foods are different weights, in 10 calorie amounts). 10 calories of green pepper weigh 50gm. 10 calories of red, weigh 32 gm and yellow, weigh 37 gm. All are high in vitamin C.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 am

Finley had been doing well over the past few months but then a week or so ago I heard him make some noise when he peed. I immediately thought oh no, here we go again with another bladder stone. When we got him he was squeaking a bit when he peed, and we had him about a year-and-a-half before the vet found the bladder stone in general so that had gone on for a while and had had plenty of time to grow before he passed it. This time I freaked out a little because I know bladder stones return but I realized we are so early on that may be there something I can do to stifle this one before it grows big enough to become a problem. He doesn't drink very much on his own but unlike any other pink we have ever had he loves loves loves the syringe so I have been making it a habit, that in addition to his water bottle being always present, encouraging him to drink more with the syringe. And he gobbles it right down! I have kept that up and he is not making any more noise when he pee is now so here's to hoping it was either a fluke thing, maybe it was a piece of hay or hair, or perhaps he passed it. I thought I would just throw that out there, there's no science behind what I'm doing obviously but it seems to have worked for now and it's something I plan to keep on doing for him to make sure he's getting enough water each day.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:09 am

That is what we did for Jinx. She had a stone, we syringe fed her water, 2 weeks later on X-ray no stone. Vet mentioned flushing it so we thought more water via syringe might help flush it and make it move. But Jinx wasn't squeaking when peeing. But she is a girl piggy! Hoping Finley continues to improve!