Guinea pig diet

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello all, Hope everyones piggies are doing well.
Just had a quick question about weight fluctuation and diet. So my remaining piggy Oswald had a 2oz weight fluctuation between now and last week (was 2lbs 15oz now 2lbs 13oz) and i know the guide says to go on alert but I have also changed some things in his diet so that could also be why. I've switched to giving him liquid vitamin c via syringe straight to his mouth since he would not eat the tablets (hes picky) and I've also switched to two small portion vegetable feedings a day rather than one big one. The vet recommended me this to avoid any leftover veggies building bacteria. I'm just wondering if that's a normal response in weight to a change in diet or if i shouldn't be concerned unless it keeps dropping? thanks again

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Are you weighing at the same time of the day each time you weigh? - preferably in the a.m., before being fed.

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm

yea it was just about a 30 min difference this morning. Woke up late

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:43 pm

I would just watch it for now. If he's eating and pooping normally, it could just be the change in diet and/or feeding schedule. If you fed him a large amount of veggies in the a.m. and now break it up into two feedings, that could well be the difference.

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Ok I’ll keep an eye on him. Poops are normal and that’s exactly what I been doing with his veggies. I used to feed him his full serving of daily veggies before I go to work in the early afternoon but now I give him his veggies in two servings. Before work and when I get home from work at night.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 am

I've always split my piggie's one cup of veggies into morning and evening feedings with unlimited hay between and about an eighth cup of pellets. Their weight stays in the 2 lbs 13 ounce to 3 lb 2 ounce range. That is except for my Abby, Scruffy. He survived a very serious bowel infection about 6 months ago and has just now cracked the 2 lbs mark. He's small, so 2 lbs is a healthy weight for him.

Their weight seems to be lower when it's warm and goes up a little during the cold months. They get more active during the summer for some reason. I think going outside has a lot to do with it.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 am

hmm maybe im not giving him enough veggies? i do about half a cup morning half a cup at night with plenty of hay in between. Also its been very hot last few days here in CA, in the 3 digits today so maybe that could be adding to it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 am

Half a cup in the morning and half at night is fine. Does he get pellets as well?

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:57 pm

yes he gets his pellets as well. Ive tried some higher quality pellets but he wont have them so i just give him the generic brand that he is used to. he lost another oz this morning but i dont get it he looks fine. ill keep posted if anything changes

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 pm

What pellet brand are you feeding? Other than KMS Hayloft and Oxbow, most other commercial brands are pretty inferior quality. To switch brands, you may want mix the two to start with, and gradually lessen the generic brand while adding more of the better pellet until it is completely switched over.

Try weighing him first thing each morning before feeding, so that you can get a 'true' weight vs. once his belly is full.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:27 pm

its the generic walmart brand. I have tried both oxbow and kms and mix them in but i usually notice he leaves those behind. Hes been eating them all his life so i guess hes just used to it but i will keep trying. Usually i weigh him first thing in the morning when its time he snacks on some leftover hay though

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

im sorry i sound like an old panicky person lol I had to take a step back and listen to myseslf. I think losing 2 piggies recently has affected me more than I would care to admit. I just need to tell myself i am doing everything I can for these little guys. It could also be he is getting more exercise. the divider is down and we made the upstairs loft bigger so he has been going up and down a lot more. I will just keep a mindful eye on any other strange behavior and step in if needed.