Bladder / urinary infection

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 am

Oh my gosh I’m so frustrated!! Faith completely quit eating again! She was just about 100% other than her foot, even her bottom was no longer crusty and weird. Yesterday I was running around all day and only checked on her once and she seeemed fine, last night I went to feed them all dinner and she still had food in her bowl and her fur looked puffed up like when they’re in pain. I gave her some Metacam and syringe fed her. I actually had to force feed her, before she was eating it on her own. I gave her some bell peppers and went to bed, this morning she hasn’t touched the peppers and there’s only about 10 poops in her cage. They’re normal size and consistency, no blood or white spots anywhere.

Could her foot be causing the pain and making her not eat? Could she have a new stone this soon?? I’m at a complete loss!!

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:39 am

Could it be bloat if she’s pooping? Her tummy feels kinda hard, not like definite bloat would but a little tight for sure. I gave her some baby gas drops just in case. She doesn’t want to walk around and is lethargic

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:41 pm

I don't know but it does seem frustrating! I hope she starts eating soon. At least you know what to do when she isn't.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Hoping things start to improve again soon. Hang in there Faith!

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:50 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s gas. I was massaging her tummy and it was hard up under her rib area. After massaging and tapping she pooped about 6 pellets and now I can hear and feel has bubbles in her tummy. At least things are moving through so there’s not a blockage but she still seems miserable. I’ll keep syringingsmall amounts and massaging and tapping / vibrating her belly and see how she does. I’m also making her walk around on the floor.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry that she's now dealing with gas/bloat. How is she doing this evening?

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 pm

I took her back to the vet, they checked her teeth and they’re fine and they said it’s not bloat. They said her kidney levels are elevated, she’s dehydrated and there’s some “grit” in her irons. They gave her sub-q fluids and told me to continue giving them at home along with syringe feeding.

She’s so lethargic but refuses to be syringe fed. I’m probably only getting half to stay in her mouth no matter what I try. She’s not eating or drinking on her own at all. I’ve given her Metacam in case she’s in a lot of pain. She just seems like she’s giving up

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

I am so sorry she is doing so poorly.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:06 pm

It does sound like something is causing pain. It's entirely possible that there is another stone; with her kidney values elevated, it makes me wonder if she might have a stone(s) in one or both ureters. From my experience with Zachary, it can greatly impact kidney function and cause the guinea pig to go downhill very quickly. Fluids help flush toxins out of the system. Do you have any Tramadol?

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:50 pm

Sef, I’m still not convinced she doesn’t have gas. Her stomach up near her rib area is tight and when I massage and vibrate her I can hear bubbling noises. I sat her on a vibrating chair and massaged her for an hour an she didn’t poop at all. She peed once. Her weight is up, but that could be from the fluids still.

How can I tell if it’s gas?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 am

It would have been helpful if they had done an x-ray to see what's going on either in her stomach or bladder or both. Lack of poops could just be because she's not eating enough right now to produce much right now, but it's concerning. Did she poop at all last night? Does her abdomen look distended?

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:45 am

Faith didn’t make it. I suspected she wasn’t going to make it through the night. I gave her some extra Metacam before I went to bed to try to make her as comfortable as I could. She groomed herself and went into her little house. I have a camera set up in front of her cage and she got up a few times in the night to eat and drink, the last time was 2:30 then she went back in her house and I found her this morning.

I just don’t understand what happened. Saturday she was doing so good I put her in with her cagemates for a while to visit and I caught this cute photo of them all. Faith was standing up eating hay and Charlie and Charity were lounging together.
https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/

This experience has hit me hard. It’s been an exhausting month and a half, mentally and physically.