Bladder / urinary infection

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I have a 5 year old spayed female who has a bladder / urinary infection. I noticed yesterday she had some soft poop on her so I picked her up to clean her off and she felt VERY thin. I put her in the hospital cage to monitor her and she was eating but not much. I took her out to syringe her Critical Care and while holding her she peed blood. My vet was already closed for the weekend so I took her to an emergency vet who did a urinalysis and ultrasound. Fortunately she didn’t see any stones but she had bacteria and crystals in her urine. She prescribed Baytril .3ml once a day for 5 days and Metacam .4 once every 3 days for 3 days.
She’s obviously in pain, is there any reason why she would only want her to have the Metacam every 3 days?? I am thinking about giving her another dose today (she got one last night) and going to my regular vet tomorrow to get more.

Also, she’s not eating much so I’m syringe feeding still and giving her anything she’ll eat... carrots, lettuce, cilantro. Anything else I should try?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 3:41 pm

That doesn't make sense. I'd suggest that you contact your regular vet in the morning and ask for Bactrim instead of Baytril. Bactrim is generally a better AB against UTI's, and less hard on the gut.

If it were me, I'd give her Metacam once daily for pain, but need to know her weight to make sure she's getting the right dose. .4cc is a fairly high dose and not one I'd recommend for daily use, especially if she is thin.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 4:21 pm

She’s very thin, 620 grams today

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Sef, should I give her half of the .4 once (or twice) today until I go see my vet tomorrow?

I thought Baytril was milder one and Bactrim was the one that upset stomachs. Is that not correct?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 4:40 pm

Is it the standard 1.5mg\ml strength Metacam? Baytil tends to be harder on the gut. Also, UTIs generally respond better to Bactrim.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes, it’s 1.5 mg

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Average dose for her weight would be roughly .13cc's, once a day. Sliding scale, though, so if it's not cutting the pain, you can bump it up slightly.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 pm

Ok I went to my regular vet today and she said she agrees with the Metacam dosing and tho she would have preferred Bactrim since she’s already on it to continue. They have her sub q fluids and it perked her up. She’s eating more on her own but being picky about what she’ll eat. She’s gained back about 80 grams already. My new concern is that she’s not pooping a lot. She is pooping some and it’s formed normal just small but I mean like 10 pellets all day. She seems almost back to normal otherwise and her urine no longer has blood.

Could she just be fattening up and not pooping out what she’s eating? She doesn’t feel swollen or distended at all

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 10:45 pm

You're saying she gained 80 grams in a day? That's not possible.

She may have weighed 80 grams more, but if she had a sub-q injection, most of that "weight" is the sub-q fluid.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Agree, that's most likely water weight. I still think it would have been best to switch to Bactrim. Do watch for any signs of decreased appetite or gastric upset while on Baytril, and I'd use a probiotic if she were my pig.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 pm

She was 603 grams on Saturday and 697 right now.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 pm

I'm not sure how to share photos anymore but here is the poop that was in her cage tonight

https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/