Is this Bumblefoot?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:23 am

I can't imagine that it would work for bumblefoot. Without reading back,is this an exotic vet?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:36 pm

I think I've already linked to this info but I'll repeat: we used bactrim because it's safe for gp's & seemed to work. The other option would have been baytril, but it often causes loss of appetite. Also she had iodine solution soaks (once a day) with a rinse afterward, vitamin c tabs (oxbow),spray on silvion, and a switch to fleece bedding with a lot of towels underneath for softness.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the antibiotics your vet is prescribing.

Hedra2

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 pm

She is not an exotics vet but she is sadly the most knowlegable small animal vet withing a 2 hr radius of me, There is an exotic vet coming to locum for her at the end of the month and we have an appt with her for both of our pigs (2nd pig has a big cyst in his ear). In the meantime I am giving the metronidazole (no clue why she picked this one) and I have ordered Baytil and more probiotics online and am just waiting for it to arrive. His feet do look like they are improving but he is so skinny (from his previous teeth issues, my apologies that was a different thread when I didn't know not to start new ones) and is still not having normal poops - they are not super runny, but they are wetter than they should be,,,,like he makes a pile of normal poops but they come with some liquid too, I am thinking that is why she picked metronidazole. He is still eating really well and is acutally a bit more active now that his feet are improving. I am looking forward to seeing the exotic vet.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Our dog was prescribed metronidazole for digestive issues. I wasn’t familiar with it and when I researched, it’s prescribed for bacteria, parasites, skin redness and rosacea. I think its a go-to med for a lot of different internal and external conditions as long as they’re not viral.

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Well why ever she chose it, his feet look fabulous, already they look 80% better!

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 pm

That's good. How about his poops?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Great! If it works and isn't upsetting his stomach, that's the main thing. :)

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 am

His poops are finally starting to be normal again. It’s taken forever. I wish he would put on some weight though.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:14 pm

Extra pellets should help with weight gain. Veggies are part of a healthy diet but don’t really help them gain weight.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Got a freebie recheck on Halloween today with the locum exotic vet (we took our other pig in for removal of an ear cyst and he had a quick peek at Halloween). This vet was soooo awesome and knowledgeable. Hal’s feet are looking better, the vet took cat nail clippers and quickly trimmed a bit off his bottom teeth so they were even (they don’t wear evenly due to his broken top tooth and he was getting a sharp bit on one side), he cleaned his broken tooth of accumulated gunk, gave us tips on how to care for it, and reweighed him and he's gaining finally. He’s gone from 0.7kg (1.54lbs) to 0.85kg (1.87lbs). He no longer feels like a skeleton (he lost so much with his tooth issues) and he’s finally pooping normally. It’s such a relief as we were pretty worried he wasn’t going to recover. They even kept Halloween so we could go shopping while we wait for Spooky’s surgery to be done and not have to leave him in the freezing cold car (it’s-10 here today). Now we’re just sitting and waiting and hoping Spooky’s day goes as great.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:34 pm

So glad things are looking promising for Halloween! Putting on weigh is always wonderful for these little guys!

I hope the surgery goes well for Spooky. It is great they cared for Hal during Spooky's surgery.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Spooky’s surgery went great too! He was in and out in 15 minutes and already awake, alert, medicated, and ready to come home with us! So happy with this vet, he was fabulous!