Need to rehome 2 females in East Bay Area, CA - ASAP

sharpie

Post   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Hello, I have 2 female cavies (Edith, the white one, and Agnes, the one with wacky brown hair) that I adopted about a year ago when I noticed they had been at the shelter for quite some weeks. I did some research about the care and type of cage they would need and thought I was prepared but, honestly, I did not know what I was getting myself into.

As I said, I adopted them 1 year ago, (they were fully grown but ages unknown, guessed at about 2-3 years old) and settled into the routine of taking care of them. About 6 months ago, after noticing blood in the cage when cleaning it out, I took them to the vet and discovered Edith had a bladder infection. It was treated with antibiotics and she had a clean bill of health. Then, about 6 weeks ago I noticed a bald patch on her back leg. Expecting that it was either mites/parasite or stress/overgrooming, I treated them both with topical ivermectin (as described in the care guide), but I've noticed the hair isn't growing back. I've contacted my vet for his opinions, and will try to get her into the vet again as soon as possible, but honestly cannot really afford a visit right now.

Agnes has also been seen by a vet and had no health issues (as of 6 months ago) and is displaying no symptoms.

As a grad student working 60+ hours a week, I no longer feel like I can give them the care they need and can't afford the treatment they need and deserve. I will keep doing everything I can to take care of them but am hoping that someone on here will be able to help with these cuties.

I have them in a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft, there's also a stand for the cage made out of grids with coroplast drawers for organizing the supplies. Asking a rehoming fee of $50 for both pigs and all supplies as I'd like them to go to a home that will take care of them (and understands the commitment/expense as I did not). I'm located in Berkeley in East Bay, CA. Any advice/help is appreciated on going forward - feel free to contact me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:23 pm

That hair loss could well be fungal, and that's usually pretty cheap and easy to fix.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm

That hair loss looks clean for fungal. Could be ovarian cysts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Oh, good call. I was having trouble sorting out body parts with that picture but I think you are right.
www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

sharpie

Post   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 am

Hi all, just wanted to post an update - thanks for the info about what could be wrong! After a visit to the vet it looks like it's either some form of skin infection (we're starting a course of antibiotics to see if there's improvement, (Bactrim + Meloxicam)) or ovarian cysts.