Treatment for bladder stones - Hydrochlorothiazide & Potassium Citrate

jamie92

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:32 pm

My female guinea pig recently had surgery to remove a very large bladder stone, the vet said it was one of largest she's seen. I never noticed any issues with her passing urine or anything except one time quite a while ago when she had some blood in her urine. My old vet put her on something for a UTI and it went away. The new vet who did the surgery seems very knowledgable and they prescribed Hydrochlorothiazide (10mg/mL) 0.1mL once a day & Potassium Citrate (100mg/mL) 0.15mL every 12 hours. I am just researching the medications and can't seem to find much about them. The only reference I have found on Hydrochlorothiazide is from 2015 on the post below. She also pulled out all her stitches late in the healing process so it has now healed with the opening closed more than it should have. The vet said it's fine because its still a decent size but would definitely not be able to pass any stones. Does anyone know anything more about these medications? I want to get them to her asap but want to make sure they are safe. I have always fed her a very low calcium so the vet believes it is genetic and not dietary. We are still waiting for the report on the stone to come back. Thank you!!

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... rothiazide

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 pm

I had a vet prescribe potassium citrate. He gave me this huge tub and I was supposed to give 1/16 tsp twice a day. It was formulated for dogs and cats with a liver and roast beef flavor. I was hesitant to give it to them with those flavors, so I never used it with any consistency.

Jedidiah

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 am

Is it an exotics vet you are going to?

I'm really interested to see this, because I have a young guinea pig that is very prone to bladder stones - it's been a recurring problem. I didn't know you could give them something to help.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 am

I'm not at all convinced that any of those things will help guinea pigs. The meds are designed to help people, and they have acidic urine. Guinea pigs are herbivores, and have basic urine. That means that meds designed for people are very unlikely to do anything at all for guinea pigs.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes, my guinea pig vet was an exotic vet. I can't say if it works but it was recommended by an exotic vet so I don't think it would hurt. Fluids and exercise can help so be sure she gets lots to drink and gets some floor time.