Cavy vets in/around Philadelphia?

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:00 am

I wouldn’t go to Dr. Geffen’s Office. I used to live in Philly and used his office a couple of times because he had a few exotics vets (both who now have their own practices elsewhere) coming in and out of his practice to see my guys. However Dr. Geffen himself is not a cavy savvy vet, so if you call them make sure they have an exotics vet in that you can see so you don’t waste a trip.

You could always go to Penn. It can be expensive just to walk in the door and you’d need to be ok with a teaching hospital setting, but they are equipped.

I’ve seen Dr. Esteban Baeza on street rd in Bensalem at street rd animal hospital once. He was angry that a pig was misdiagnosed when the pig actually had mites. Misdiagnosed, by Dr. Geffen actually, as a fungal problem. (I was maybe 11? At the time).

I’ve seen Dr. Beth Urbaniak at a VCA in Langhorne, she’s not exotics, but she’s willing to crack open text and talk to colleagues which is better than nothing. And I’ve seen more than one guinea pig there at a time for her.

I had some bad luck in that area concerning pigs. But again that is like a lot of places. I’ve heard good things about Dr. Goodman, but have never met her.

One place to absolutely stay away from is Flowers Mill in Langhorne. They will tell you they know exotics and even had a macaw there the same time as I was. But he knows nothing and misdiagnosed my pig too. With pasteurella.

Tracy

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you, Clint -- helpful insights. And yes, I did look at the list, as well as combing through websites online, posting in neighborhood groups online, and (when possible) reading reviews. It really isn't a Pig Place (city), I've been surprised to learn -- shelters in Philly don't have piggies and few exotics vets here. PA overall isn't bad for pigs, but I'm not looking to venture far outside Philly.

Please keep any recommendations coming -- thanks!