Olive's gas problem

Olive

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 am

No. But I think she really is in need of some. She's puffed up and sits in corners most of the time. Is it safe to give her pain killers without prescription?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm

You need meloxicam, which is a veterinary prescription drug. Contact your veterinarian about pain medication. Describe her behavior. Being in pain affects appetite and so much more.
www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Olive

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm

I will be visiting my vet after 3 hours. Will update once I've visited her. In the meantime, she hasn't pooped in 12 hours ( only 5 droppings) and has passed urine just once. Thank you for all tje help you both have given me. Without your help, I'd have lost hope long time back.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Are you positive she's not eating the droppings? Sick pigs will often eat them all, not just the cecal ones.

If she's eating but not pooping, her weight should be going up.

Olive

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:40 pm

I'm positive she isn't eating them and she has really reduced eating as well. My guess is that her digestive system needs a push start. I hope the vet has a solution. Fingers crossed. Will check her weight as well.

Olive

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:39 am

Came back from the vet. She saw that one of Olive's (upper) tooth had broken and maybe that was the reason why she wasn't eating. She filed her teeth and got both her upper teeth to the same size. She has prescribed a laxative to help with the poop and also a homoeopathic painkiller, so that the medicines are not too much for her. She's also on probiotics since today morning. Poop is still not there. However, she seemed to be eating a little better after we came back from the vets'. I've ordered a massage pad for her and it should be with me by Monday. In the meantime I'm massaging her with my hands. I don't have an electronic toothbrush. Will massaging with a trimmer help?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Read this over for some massage tips:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=15&t=117

Exactly what are the drugs? What is the laxative? What is the homeopathic pain killer?

See also teeth_broken.html in case she filed them too short.

Olive

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 am

The laxative is milk of magnesia (for anyone worrying, it doesn't have milk in it, just the name has it). I have to administer 2.5 ml of it, once, for 3 days. The homoeopathic medicine is Arnica 30. Her teeth have been filed 0.3-0.4 mm shorter. Not too much. And she in fact is eating more comfortably after that. Still not eating much, but eating better than day before yesterday. Will still follow the link and make things as comfortable as I can for her.

Good news! The massage pad is arriving today. For how long should I put her on it and how many times?

Olive

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 am

**too late to edit. I meant 3 mm.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 am

I think you will have to experiment with it to see what helps.

I do not recall milk of magnesia being prescribed by vets for guinea pigs. If your vet in India is looking for a motility drug, he/she would use cisapride or metoclopromide:
www.guinealynx.info/motility.html

Olive

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 am

Too bad. She's scared of the pad. I'll have to resort to hand massaging. She has started pooping just a little bit after the milk of magnesia dose, but, she seems to be eating almost everything of whatever little she's pooping. Should I allow her to do that?

Also, her poop size is small. While, it's not normal, it's okay, since she's on a recovery route, right?

I'll have to continue with the dosage of milk of magnesia and hope for the best, I guess. Too frequent change of medicine won't do her any good.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Weigh her daily - perhaps a couple times a day right now. Make sure she is eating enough. Small poop size may indicate she is not eating enough.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html