Suggestions and Help

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:09 pm

I've been using a huge cage that once had three pigs in it, and now only has one. So I only have to change fleece about once a week.

The cheap fleece blankets that you can get from places like Target and Walmart work just fine, and I've also had good luck with fleece from places like JoAnne's.

There's a fleece thread over at GPC started by Windespirit, and in it she says which fleece is the one that's no good. All the rest are OK.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:07 pm

OK have registered over there and checked it out. Thanks

SSLee

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm

rjespicer, bpatters' suggestion of pellets likely will work for you. I was thrilled to discover pellets but because my father lives on the 3rd floor and my own home is on the 2nd, I gave up on that idea. The pellets are heavy and I have hand problems.

I have never been able to find the cheap fleece blankets that everyone else seems to find at Target and Walmart (we only have a few Walmarts in the entire SF Bay Area). I've looked online at both sites also but no luck. Your best bet likely will be Joann's. They currently have fleece on sale, especially if you don't mind solid colors. There should be a larger sale after Thanksgiving. You will also want to read up on preparing the fleece so that it wicks properly. There are threads on this forum and I've also watched several videos on You Tube.

If the fleece and pellets system works for you and you don't need the GuineaDad liners, since we are in the same city, perhaps we can work something out. I know you've spent a lot of money for medical care and buying supplies. Would hate for the liners to not be used and your spending more to buy fleece.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:38 pm

SSLee

I am looking in to the Pellets but cant seem to find a local supplier of the ones bpatters uses, the nearest place is 40 miles away and doesn't deliver. We would also have issues disposing of them once used due to a peculiarity of not having anywhere to store garbage bins for the property where the piggys are so having to share with a local business half a block up (long story). We are on the second floor to.

I may look at using fleece over the Guineadads as that may help with the cleaning but will have to see if that would really help at all or just make more work. The potty pads we have under the fleece forest seem to help as well but It looks like I am going to need more.

Thanks for the offer on the Guinedads, they seem to be working for now, without the pockets (we just folded them back on themselves), and they dont seem to get as messed up and smelly but if we decide to change them for something else I will let you know. We have 4 of the 2x3 C&C liners, plus a Midwest sized one that we got when we upgraded from the tiny Kaytee cage they sold to the wife and then realized that wasn't big enough either. We also have a 2x1 and 2x2 without pockets that we use as lap pads or for their favorite snooze spots when they are out for floor time so we dont get pee on the floor. I will keep you posted.

I just need to find a simple, efficient, hygienic solution that works with the odd challenges we have with our apartment and that the wife and daughter can assist with so I can take a break sometime.

SSLee

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:52 pm

rjespicer, If you are still looking for fleece to use in your cage, I might be able to help you. Just like your wife, sometimes I am an impulse buyer. Before buying the GuineaDad liners, I had planned to make my own liners (that likely wouldn't have happened since I don't sew) and bought fleece from Joann's. I just sent you a PM and we can coordinate on the fleece. Hopefully your wife, daughter, or a friend sews as it is a lot cheaper to DIY. My niece (who had begged to get the piggies but now have lost interest) and I were thinking of hand sewing some potty pads. Luckily my sister helped me out. I want more but don't want to bother my sister again so I'm back to the hand sewing idea.

After mulling over your piggies' health issues, I might also flip the pocket over on my liners. I do really like the liners and in the future, if I need to replenish I think I will go with the pocket-less version.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 pm

For what it's worth, you can use unfinished fleece (does not need to have the edges sewn). The edges may deteriorate slightly over time but it isn't a woven fabric so you could simply over-cut the size you needed from a large piece,and fold the edges under, if you wanted to protect them slightly.