Outdoor hutches/runs used as indoor piggy cage?

Guineapun

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:38 am

I was having a lot of trouble with cages and I ultimately purchased a wooden, single-story rabbit hutch that is raised slightly off the floor for my girls. I think it looks nicer in the house than the c & c cages do, personally. It's an adequate size for 2 pigs, 5' * 2' or so, but they are free to come out for floor time whenever I am home. It's much sturdier/ more stable than I was ever able to make a c & c, however, it was expensive even though I got it on sale from amazon. The girls like it and I find it easier to maintain. Be very careful when buying a hutch online, the pictures can be deceptive. Check the measurements. The problem with many hutches is that they don't come with a floor, but mine did.
Last edited by Guineapun on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guineapun

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:43 am

Also, some rabbit hutches have wire floors, which are not safe for piggies. So look out for that.

The reason I purchased a single-story hutch is that the ramp and the entry hatch in between floors really decreases the usable space in many of those cute elevated rabbit hutches. So be sure to look at the plan/measurements and try to calculate how much space you will actually get for your pigs.

The cage I bought came with a "room divider". I thought the girls would like having a "cave" built in like that, but they didn't care for it so I took it away.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Wow! Your cage sounds really good! Do you possibly still have the name/link? Thanks so much for your help!

Guineapun

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 am

It was this one. Apparently it is unavailable on (Canadian) amazon right now but it might be available elsewhere like ebay, overstock or some other site. It was the best option for me but I think U.S. amazon has much more selection so you might be able to find something suitable.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01MD13RL ... UTF8&psc=1

staticgirl_77

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:08 pm

I have a jack Russell terrier and 4 indoor guinea pigs. While I do have sturdy, converted dog crates for my guineas, because of NoNo’s high prey drive and kill tally, I have an indoor Dogwatch system that doesn’t allow her to get close to their area without being shocked (we also have a dogwatch invisible fence outside). The indoor system is wireless, and the base unit is about the size of a smoke detector. I just put in on top of the cage and no no can’t get close. For us, it just adds an extra level of protection for my guys.

piggylover49

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks so much, staticgirl_77 and Guineapun! I really appreciate your help!