Regurgitating while force feeding?

Guineapun

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:22 am

Glad I got the digital scale. My analog scale is over by about 30 grams. Her eating is slow, but she is getting better at holding food in her mouth and we are looking to schedule our return check up. :)

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 am

She is pooping out the CC within half an hour of feeding her, and it's very soft. Not quite runny/ CC consistency, but close. Is this diarrhea or is it normal with long term CC feeding?

She has a checkup tonight so I will ask the vet but I'm a bit worried.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:41 am

CC affects the consistency of the poop.

But she's not pooping out what you're feeding her within a half hour. Transit time through a guinea pig is several hours, not a few minutes. What's likely happening is that feeding her stimulates gut action, so the poop that's close to the bottom of the intestine is expelled.

Poop that's runny is always a serious sign that needs vet attention.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Vet says her temp is low enough to be worrysome and wants to keep her in hospital again. I can't afford another overnight in hospital. She's going to keep Zipper for a few hours in an incubator, hydrate and feed her. She hasn't gained weight and she was so bloated with gas last night. I am so worried.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm

They want to do xrays and/or bloodwork. Apparently her temperature keeps dropping. What could be causing this? Should I let her go?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Has she given you an instructions on what to do if she becomes bloated again? There are links to some helpful information here:
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:26 pm

A dropping temperature is not a good sign. It wouldn't hurt to be thinking about whether or not it's time to call it quits, but I'd want some more info first.

I'm not sure what, if anything, blood work would tell you. It's very stressful for a pig to draw blood, and you have to weigh that against what they could learn from it.

I'd agree to x-rays if it were me. They're not perfect when dealing with soft tissues, but they're not by any means useless.

How old is she?

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm

She's 4.

Apparently she had a stroke and a sudden drop in blood glucose while she was being observed. Doc says that she's not moving much, just sort of pawing at the air. Doc says that can be a sign of trying to pass away. She's being kept in hospital with permission to cross her over if the situation seems to call for it. If she wants to live I want to do everything I can but if she doesn't want to live I don't want to torture her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose them, and especially before they've lived out their already too-short life time. If she goes, I hope it's quickly and peacefully.

Guineapun

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 pm

I just can't stop wondering if I did the right thing leaving her at the hospital. I feel so bad leaving her there when she might not come home. Maybe I should have brought her home where things are familiar. I just don't know. I just want her home with me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Can you go back and get her?

Svh

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm so sorry you're in this situation, I was so hoping to come back to a positive update for you both.

I've never really gone through much of anything like this with my pigs, so I really don't have anything constructive to add. You're doing the best you can with her.