Regurgitating while force feeding?

Guineapun

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:19 am

It's just one thing after another with my girls lately. My girl Zipper seemed unwell so I took her to the vet, who said it was a respiratory infection and perscribed antibiotics. I've been force feeding the antibiotics with a syringe pretty successfully, but yesterday she spit most of it out. Tonight, she regurgitated a bunch of green goo when I put the syringe in her mouth. Am I doing something wrong, like pushing the syringe in too far, or should she go back to the vet?

I also notice she seems to be having trouble eating. She wants to eat, and when I give her critical care or baby food or blended veggies she eats like crazy, but she seems to be having trouble with solids. Could there be a problem with her teeth, or is it the antibiotics making her lose her appetite except for tasty treats?

Thanks everyone.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:42 am

If she shows interest in solids, like trying to eat it but dropping it, then that would be teeth problems. If she's spitting out the critical care, that could be her just getting aggravated with being hand fed or that she's having difficult swallowing. I think it would be at least worthwhile calling the vet and talking to them about it.

Guineapun

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 pm

I took her to the vet and he said there is nothing wrong with her teeth and doesn't thing there is a blockage. I don't know what to do now. She's losing weight fast, why can't she eat?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Is this an exotic vet?

Has she had dental x-rays and a thorough dental exam?

Guineapun

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:26 pm

They claimed to have lots of experience with all exotics. My regular vet is on holiday and they refered me there. He did a dental exam with an instrument, but no x-ray. He bent her hesd back far enough when he was examining her that it worried me- it was quite rough. The exam was really quick. He said her front teeth were a little long but not long enough to be causing trouble.

I called another vet in my area who claimed to have GP experience, but when I asked if they had dental experience she said she didn't know and I would have to ask the doctor after paying for an exam.

Guineapun

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Here is the other thing, she doesn't seem able to open her mouth wide and whenever she eats she chews with one side of her mouth and tilts her head.

The doctor spent the first 15 minutes of our session bragging about his years of experience with exotic pets, and told me that if he "seemed rough" or she didn't get better, I shouldn't get upset and leave a bad facebook review. Then he told me there is very little medical treatment available for guinea pigs because they are rare and nobody studies them, so usually there is nothing that can be done. He told me he doesn't like to prescribe medicine for guinea pigs because they usually don't get better and that I should consider myself lucky that she had lived to 4 because they have very uncertain/ "unknown" lifespans. This was all before he even looked at her or asked what was wrong. It was like he wanted to euthanise her before even looking at her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Find another vet!

Are you in Hamilton, Ontario? There are several exotic vets around there.

Guineapun

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 am

I am, are there any in particular you can recommend?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 am

What that vet said would put me off. There are good vets out there - you just have to find them (I don't have a particular recommendation).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am

Send a PM through the board software to the user hammer -- she's in Hamilton, and will be able to recommend someone in that area.

There are also a couple of Canadian users from that general vicinity over at GPC. I'll ask over there.

Svh

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 am

Just curious, which vet did you take her to that said those things?

I'm in Hamilton, unfortunately there isn't a vet that I have found in the actual city that I would trust with anything too major.

There's 1 vet at Stoney Creek Animal Hospital. She has surgical experience, but I have no idea if she does dentals with any success.

Next closest would be Burloak Animal Hospital in Oakville. I haven't ever been there with my pigs, but it is generally regarded as a good clinic for exotics.

Personally, I take my guinea pigs to Guelph. I use Campus Estates Animal Hospital. I have had successful dentals done on guinea pigs there and the vets are amazing. Dr. Liteplo, Dr. Morin, Dr. Pascos and Dr. Louws have all been really good with my pigs. I always make the drive there.

I believe there is also Windrush Veterinary Services in Brantford. There is an actual exotic vet there. I know a couple people use that vet who are happy there. Skinnypigs1 from youtube uses them.

Alternatively, there is a new small pet rescue based in Hamilton. Serenity Pet Sanctuary. They use a Hamilton/Stoney Creek vet, but I'm not sure which one. You could possibly contact them and ask. I don't know how good of a vet it is though.

Guineapun

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 pm

I am thinking of taking her to guelph. I know the university has an emrgency department just for exotics. I'll see how she is when I get home from work. It's just tough because I don't have a car, getting a rental on the weekend can be tricky.