Vitamin B

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 pm

My vet recommended a multi vitamin drop with Vit B in it. Any suggestions?

I just ordered this: It has Vitamin B-12 in it, but I'm unsure if it's enough since it's listed as the second to last ingredient.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm

My concern about multi-vitamins is that some of them are fat soluble, and guinea pigs are just little balls of fat and fur. I've given multi-vitamins to a couple of mine, but only about half the recommended dose, and every other day rather than every day.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Are those water droplets? If that's the case I'd recommend getting the Oxbow Multi-Vitimans instead. Those are tablets. The stuff you put in water can cause your guinea pig to drink less due to taste and once it hits the water it loses its nutrition very very quickly (I've heard several lengths of time 1 day, a few hours, 1 hour, minutes but I personally think the length of time depends on quality of the product and the water. Either way it loses nutrition quickly).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 am

KE, you should never put vitamins in a water bottle, no matter what the directions say. You can sprinkle them on food, or syringe them to the pig.

The stuff that loses its potency in water is vitamin C, and it's not the water that's the problem. It's the water plus light that does the damage. Vitamin C in water can last for months if it's kept in a opaque bottle (which is the way liquid vitamin C is sold), but will degrade within just a few hours if exposed to light.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Why does your vet think your pigs need extra Vitamin B?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 am

Fuzz has had soft stools for quite a while, as far back as I can remember. Cutting out different veggies didn't help. I'm about to try bio-sponge which should be here any day. I'm in the process of switching her from KMS pellets to Mazuri. I know the multi-vitamins are fat soluble, but I have to try something. Her stools are getting softer and softer as she gets older. Not really diarrhea but it comes close sometimes. I'm afraid she's just going to fade away. We can't find any reason for the soft poops at all. Vet suggested IBS, but really had no suggestions other than the vitamins. So far, Fuzz isn't becoming dehydrated, thank goodness. She's 4.5 yrs old and continues to lose weight. This time last year she was in the high 1200s/low 1300s and she's barely make it into the 1000s now. I know they lose weight as they get older but 200-300 grams in less than a year seems kind of excessive.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:28 am

Is Fuzz still eating as much hay as last year? Have heart issues been ruled out?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 pm

I know some older people can't process food as well as they age. So maybe something like that is going on. 4.5 years does not seem that old though :-(

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 am

Near as I can remember, she still eats like she used to. Last year was a REALLY bad year for losing pets, though, so I can't swear to it. She seems to eat lots of hay.