Wedgwood - a screaming turdfaced butthead at introductions

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 am

<sigh>

I'm really trying to get off the guinea pig merry-go-round. But Wedgwood is still youngish and energetic and was getting bored. So I found an older sow at a local shelter, named Jewel. This poor thing had clearly been neglected before being brought to the shelter, and at 5 years old (and having just lost her cagemate), I felt guilty leaving her there. Introductions at the shelter went well, so I decided to bring her home. I'm not entirely happy with my decision, because she's going to break my heart, and I really don't want Rob to have to watch that. However, knowing I could give her good food, a relatively peaceful home and good care for the rest of her life... I figured the pig deserved that much.

Neutral territory introductions were yesterday afternoon and overnight. Not bad. Cage introduction happened this morning. I had forgotten how much of a territorial nasty bitch Wedgwood can be. Relatively speaking, it's been quiet. But Wedgie likes to roust a pig from wherever they are and is a persistent open-mouth biter. Bam. Bam-bam. Jewel is a screamer, but otherwise seems unfazed. But there's been an incident of hair pulling, which is where my nerves start to frazzle over the whole process. But god, Wedgwood, do you have to be such a massive butthead?

Honestly, introductions are going pretty well, based on past experience. I'm just afraid they'll somehow fall apart. I don't think I can deal with two cages. Ugh. So I'm here to vent, to people who understand, and hoping for a little solace.

On a funny (although still buttheaded note): Wedgwood, when she can't get Jewel to move after three bites to Jewel's backside will turn around and press her butt against Jewel. I suspect she's peeing on her, at close quarters out of sheer frustration. I have never seen any pig do that, not even Wedgwood herself to Boadicea. Funniest damn thing I've ever seen. I can't help but laugh. Frustrates the hell out of Wedg when she can't get a rise out of her intended target.

I hate introductions. Thanks for listening.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Keep us posted. I can see why you couldn't leave Jewel at the shelter. It's so satisfying to give a neglected pig a good home. Hope they work it out.

No advice unfortunately. We got a new pig, Brownie, after Pepper died - humane society, same age as the 2 sisters. I don't think there's any physical danger, but she likes to rule the roost. The other two scream. There's been some spraying, I forget who did it. Main caretaker daughter worries & worries that the two sisters won't be happy anymore.

We replaced the one door huts with stools, so there would be multiple avenues of escape. I'm sure you already know all the tricks. Daughter thought just being able to see Brownie made Carly & Grace complain. So she replaced one of the stools with a hut. We still hear cries. Seems to me that a hut setup is more risky for attack injury.

What's your setup? I dont mean to hijack. Butt to butt spraying is definitely funny. I admire Jewel's stubbornness.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Only tunnels and cuddle cups in the cage so far. There's overhangs and a fleece forest, too. So no dead-ends. I have an odd three-tier setup that my pigs have really liked, but is hard for intros. I blocked off the upper levels until the spats died down. I've learned that chasing and that leap to the first level is really hard if a pig was too panicked to judge correctly while in a dead run, so that gets closed up before they ever get into the cage. I opened it later this morning, since Jewel has shown no interest in going up, and it gave the two of them some extra space. The third level is one of Wedgwood's favorite places to hang out (which she's doing now), and gives them each the impression they have the place to themselves. At some point, though, I'll have to see that Jewel can get up there before Wedg decides the upper levels are hers only. But I'm trying to leave Jewel alone and unhandled - I suspect she's more stressed out than she shows.

So - relatively peaceful (knock on wood). Jewel wails like a baby, but will do it even when Wedg is backing down - so if I hear that, or if it's quiet, then I know everything is alright. It's the scuffling and panicked run I don't like.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. I might want to live in a cage like that!! I wonder how long it takes if they are eventually going to settle in with other. I've only had one experience where two pigs never became comfortable with each other, but there was nothing physical going on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 9:37 pm

You could drape a light weight cloth over the stool to give more visual privacy but leave all the exits open (maybe have it drape to cover two). And don't forget maybe try some fringed fleece dividers?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue May 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Good idea about the cloth over the stool. I'll pass it on to the appropriate people. I'm definitely excited about the idea of a fringed fleece divider!! Kinda like those beads people hung in doorways back in hippie times, only cooler.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue May 08, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm so glad you got Jewel. I'm sure she and Wedgie will work it out soon. In November we got an older spayed sow companion for unfixed Bo, who is still lively but starting to show his age (6) a bit. Hoping to get down to one big cage instead of two eventually, but without anyone being lonely. It's tricky.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Things started to settle down yesterday. However, today Jewel, started moving around more. This is great! But it's caused Wedgwood to start biting and chasing again. Poor Jewel! I'll need to weigh her again tonight, to make sure she's not being kept from eating. So far their weight has been fluctuating together, so if there's weight loss I'm not too worried - I figure it's because they've both been so active!

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm glad it's going well! I wouldn't have been able to leave her at the shelter either! I totally understand. It's hard to know you won't have as much time with them as you'd like (it's never enough!), but every piggy deserves a loving home and in the end the happiness will always outweigh the sadness.

My boars got along until one went through puberty. It's been over a year now and I just tried reintroducing them and failed miserably. My younger one (Poppins) pretty much sounds like Wedgwood. Except he never stopped harassing Buster even after Buster let him do the mounting thing like right away. The teeth thing is what scares me. It's funny though, because Buster could really care less. He just turns around with his butt towards Pop and starts sleeping. If Poppins comes near his face, he'll just turn around again. He literally yawned and fell asleep while Pop was full-on rumblestrutting right next to him! It was pretty funny XD

Sounds to me like you have a good chance with your piggies! Not sure if Poppins will ever be able to live with another pig but he is bonded to Buster anyway. Their cages are next to each other and they talk all the time. If one or the other is out of the room too long they will start wheeking for each other. Pop also copies the weird things Buster does. Like he gets water in his mouth and spits it on his pellets before he eats them. Silly piggies!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am

Hopefully things will continue to improve. I use the "put the food waaaaay over here and waaaay over there" technique with my boars for similar reasons. I'm not really worried Wendell isn't eating (because he's so fat) but at least the other pigs get their "steps in" trying to guard food. Kudos to you for giving Jewel a good retirement home.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Hay is on separate levels. When I give lettuce, I spread it as far apart as I can. Pellets and water are in one spot, but they don't seem to be fought over. I think it's verrryyyyy slowly getting better. I don't hear quite so much crying. But Wedgwood is still pulling that bizarre move where she bites Mabel twice, then spins around, presses her butt against Mabel and pees on her. Strangest thing I've ever seen!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Sounds like Mabel needs a time out. (joking)