New baby guinea pigs

GPlover1996

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Hello all,

In the past few weeks that have followed my initial "dealing with loss" post where I detailed my experience of losing my best piggy bud, Penelope, there have been some new developments. One of my friends, who has 3 guinea pigs, was surprised to come home from spring break to find 6 new babies. Apparently, two of her female guinea pigs had fallen pregnant by her boar. They each birthed 3 healthy pups. This leads to my new guinea pig adventure. With the loss of Penelope still licking at the edge of my mind daily, I have been struggling to decide whether or not to help out my friend and adopt 2 of her pups. I decided to do so.
That being said, I have only a moderate grasp on how I should prepare for their arrival. I do not have a cage or supplies, which for the time being is ok as they won't be ready to leave their mom for another 2 weeks. This leads to my overall questions:

1.) What size cage do the pups need? They are just babies so I am hesitant to get something that they may find too large (if there is such a concept)
2.) What type of food should they have?
3.) What are some things I should keep a watch out for as they age?
4.) Should they see a vet as soon as I get them to have an overall check up?

Overall, I have guinea pig experience; Penelope lived until she was six. However, I have never had such small guinea pigs before. I would like to be as informed as possible.

Thank you in advance for any advice that comes in; it is highly appreciated. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:31 pm

I would go for a big cage and pup-proof it by doubling up/staggering grids (if that's what you use) or line with plexiglass.

Standard good diet with alfalfa based pellets to begin with:
www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Adopt the pigs at 3 weeks of age and make absolutely certain they are the same sex. If there are no health issues and you are positive about sex, they would not need a checkup - but finding a good vet and developing a relationship with him/her so you can get the care they need if they are ill is valuable.

Lots of info in the guide for you.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm

What she said. :) Also, when you have them out for handling or floor time, be extra careful that they can't get under furniture or behind anything, or down a crack in the wall. I once had to unload a fridge to get a pig out of the back of it when he got wedged near the compressor.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:00 am

Pictures?

GPlover1996

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I am writing to revive this post. I apologize for the delay in pictures; the new pigs just came in the day before last! They are both girls aged about 5 weeks. They are doing well and I would like attach pictures but I am not sure how, could someone help me out?

All that being said, one of the girls, Sol, has some cloudy white discharge coming from her eye. The eye is slightly squinted but in the "eye" section of the medical care guide, it says that white discharge could be a normal grooming function. Any additional suggestions of what it could be? The discharge just began today and it is only in one eye. She is eating normally and squeaking and drinking. Other than the eye, she is in good spirits for the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:49 pm

People often use imgur to upload pics and display here.

If the discharge continues, it might be a blocked tear duct. Do read over www.guinealynx.info/uri.html too.

GPlover1996

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank you Lynx for your advice. The pigs are on gentamicin sulfate 2x a day each eye for the next 6 days. My local veterinarian did not seemed overwhelmingly concerned as the girls are still quite chipper and eating a drinking regularly.

GPlover1996

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Here is a link to some photos of Sol's eye. The first couple photos were from the third day that she and her sister were in my care. I started treating her with warm compresses that day. The next day I called the vet because there was additional discharge and it was looking like her sister was developing the same condition (I will post pictures of her when I get home). The vet just wrote me a script for the medication and I did not take the girls in. Today is the second day the girls have been on their medication, they are in good spirits but I am so worried about them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Would you like me to add a couple of the eye pics to this thread? They do look like classic pictures of eye cleaning fluid. The excess and squinting could indicate there is something irritating the eye. If it gets red looking, the vet should examine under the eyelid (if he/she has not already).

GPlover1996

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Yes! Any additional advice/resources are highly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Here are a couple crops of two of your pictures:

GPlover1996

Post   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Today the sleek-haired pig's eye looks much better. Seems to me like the drops are working.