HELP

PiggyLover13

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:17 pm

So recently I bought 2 female guineas from Petsmart. They were both around the same age and the same size. And I know everyone says not to buy them from the pet stores, but I did. I love these guineas with all my heart and tonight I heard my little nutty one, Piggy Azalea, sniffling. I have seen no change in her behavior or diet but she has a cold? I then noticed that she has bite marks and scabs on her back behind her head and on her leg. I am assuming my other guinea, Furgie, has been beating her up now. Though I have never heard her make noises like she was being hurt. I hold them all the time and they snuggle so I don't understand why they act different in the cage. My mother is making me return Piggy Azalea tomorrow because she doesn't want to get her vetted being we only had them for 12 days. Does she have a URI? Is Furgie territorial or is there another reason she's being mean to Piggy? Someone please give me advice. I don't want to bring Piggy Azalea back, I want her to stay here, she finally had a home....

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 pm

If you bought the cage at Petsmart, it's not large enough for two guinea pigs. And crowding is one of the main reasons for guinea pig aggression.

However, what you may be seeing is the result of her biting and scratching herself because she has mites. Unless you're seeing one bite the other, the problem may be self-inflicted. You can post a picture on here and we'll take a look and see if we can figure anything out. If you have trouble doing that (you'll have to host the picture on some other site, and link it here), you can send a PM to lynx and she'll post it for you.

If she is sniffling, she needs to be seen by a vet. A pig can go downhill very quickly with a URI, and the sooner you start treatment, the more likely the pig is to recover.

Unfortunately, you've discovered two of the main reasons why people are so against purchase of guinea pigs from pet stores. They are often sold sick, with parasites, mis-sexed, and the baby females are pregnant. (BTW, you have turned them both over and compared their private parts to be sure they're the same sex, haven't you?) They're also inbred, as breeders that sell to the big pet stores make no attempt to establish and maintain safe bloodlines.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

Big ditto bpatters on all counts.

When you get a guinea pig, you have the responsibility of getting medical care for them if they need it. Talk to your mother. If you cannot work something out for now and for the future, I have reservations about your having pets.

Mites are very common. And DO get a bigger cage! Weigh daily right now, watch for scratching, watch for any other signs of illness.
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:06 am

I wouldn't take her back, because they will most likely neglect her and she could die.  What you can do is to take her to the vet and then give the bill to Petsmart and insist they reimburse you, because they sold you a sick guinea pig.