Dealing with loss

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 am

I am so very sorry for your loss. These guinea pigs can work their way so deeply into our hearts. It hurts to lose them.

minnesota92

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am

It is so nice to not feel alone. It has been a weird transition and getting used to the new pig makes me feel guilty, but she is super cute and she's getting along with my boy! I have felt so off at work and just feel terrible. Someone saw me crying yesterday because we had to choose a new urn for Gin, which really upset me. Ugh, animals are heartbreakers.

This is Poppy.

minnesota92

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 am

Also, I forgot to add something that just made me pause and think the other day. A couple of nights ago my mom and I were throwing around the name Poppy because she was popcorning. I like names that go together. I had a cat named Tigger, and a dog named Winnie --- clearly from Winnie the Pooh. Then my dwarf hamster was Hammie, and my gerbil is Gerbie. My pigs were Jimmy and Ginny. I didn't want anything too close to Ginny for some reason. We're just a little bit into the "ie" sounding names if you can't tell. A lot of people liked Minnie, especially Minny for Minnesota, but it was too close to Ginny for me. Soooo, anyway we discussed Poppy, and I was like okay I'll think about it, nothing felt strong enough for me.

I went to bed, and when I woke up, I realized Gin was in my dream! The next day I was still thinking about our discussion about Poppy. I have a PetCube, and I was watching her at work on the camera just boppin' around and felt it was a good fit then. I also love flowers, so I liked that idea. I researched the meaning of Poppy flowers, as discussed above. What particularly blew my mind was, "Messages delivered in dreams." After Gin had been in my dream, I knew it was the right name. Plus, all of the other meanings are great as well! I'm 26 and never thought I would be so attached and glued to Guinea Pigs. They help you get through so much, for me it was losing my dog, anxiety, my Grandma has Alzheimer's, I had a job layoff, but also accomplishments like grad school, a new, great job, etc. They're so great. I hope things look up soon. I really do. Does anyone else like to look into the meaning of names? I like the meanings of names and sometimes dreams too. It can be comforting. I'm not much of a believer in certain things, but I do have to say, the way this aligned is quite...interesting.

PacDan16

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the feeling. My guinea girl Kheera had to be put down, due to advancing breast cancer, on January 24th of this year.
I am currently looking for a new girl to accompany my surviving girl Oreo. None of the shelter's have a single girl for me to adopt though...
But more importantly, and of course, my heart goes out to you. I wish to you for all the best in the future. You'll get through it all. I have been struggling through.
Piggies are the best! :)
Last edited by PacDan16 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PacDan16

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Also, I know it might feel like you're "replacing" the passed away piggie when you get a new one. But don't let your piggie's death stop you from getting a new piggie way in the future. You might want to get two as well, it's highly recommended so they don't get lonely.

minnesota92

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. And I am sorry for your loss as well.

GPlover1996

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 pm

minnesota92,
First off, I am so sorry for your loss. She really was a lovely little pig. It is oddly comforting knowing others experience crushing grief as well. I too dealt with guilt on the correct way to proceed with my pig's quickly deteriorating condition. Looking back now, I see that the universe always has a way of working things out for us. You gave her the very best life. Just some things we cannot control and this fact is heartbreaking. I think your new pig is an excellent representation of the legacy of Ginny; this new pig gets to live an incredible life with you. Cheers to you and you new piggy.