My Guinea Pig Passed Away Today and I Can't Help but Blame Myself

DelilahRose

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Delilah was fine last night, eating as usual, and this mornig=ng she was laying down to die. My other pig Rose was laying with her through the bars, and I knew what was happening. I took her to the vet... she was put down. She said there was very little to do and I wanted her to be out of pain... It was so hard to watch her contorting. The way she must have felt. I had to let her go. I showed her body to Rose... she seems to be in shock. She sniffed once and froze for a while. Then it seemed like she was trying to wake her up. She was nudging her head. I took her out and Rose was so upset she wanted to climb out after her. I buried my baby in the backyard and said a few parting words. Rose is still eating happily. She just seems a little broken, understandably.
I can't help but feel at fault for this. I was taking her in today because I found lesions on her feet. I keep thinking, if I noticed sooner, and took to the vet yesterday, she might still be here. Maybe if I woke up earlier when she started to die, I could've saved her. She was only 3... it's even harder to swallow knowing many others who's pigs lasted 7-9 years. I still had so much I wanted to do with her, so much I wanted her to have... All I can do now is make sure Rose adjusts well. And figure out what to do with all of Delilah's things and her side of the cage...

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 pm

I’m sorry for your loss. A lesion on her foot shouldn’t have killed her. I adopted a pig once with severe bumble foot that had been a raging infection for a year. The previous owner had been waiting for the infection to kill her before finding me and giving her to me. It was likely something else that killed her so don’t beat yourself up. Sometimes they die unexpectedly and at a younger age. You know you gave her the next life you could.

DelilahRose

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Thank you. I just keep thinking, maybe they would have noticed she was going to go into critical condition. I'm focusing mostly on the positive side that she isn't hurting anymore. And that I even got to say goodbye. The vet offered n autopsy or maybe looking at my other pig, who is doing very well, to see if she can possibly find a cause for her death, but honestly, I just felt it better to let her go to her grave and stay at rest. I wanted her to look how she normally did when I put her in the ground. She almost looked like she was sleeping... but her eyes were open, but pigs sleep like that anyway.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:08 am

I am so sorry you lost her, DelilahRose.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. Of the 4 pigs I've lost in the last 8 months, only one lived past the age of 4, so don't beat yourself up. It's hard to lose a little one, but it does get easier. Not really less painful, just easier.

Rest in peace, little one. You are loved and missed.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm so sorry! We do tend to blame ourselves because they depend on us for everything. Sometimes, though, it's just not within our control. It sounds like she had a really good life with you. Sending you all my thoughts and good vibes today!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm so sorry you lost her.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. I've had the experience where I did take a pig to the vet and shockingly (to me and the vet) it passed the next day. They sometimes hide their problems. I've had pigs live only til 3 and pigs live til 8. Many factors are involved, not all of them under your control. If you are at all concerned about your other pig, do take the vet up on the offer of a well visit.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:34 am

Thank you all so, so much for the support. These past few days have been rough for me because I'm trying to stay strong for Rose. And honestly, if I didn't have her and my dog, I don't know how I would be. Probably unmotivated ad falling deep into my depression. My pets get me out of bed every morning, so to have my remaining two is what has held me together.
I am trying to stop self-blaming, your comments have been so helpful in that.. she was a part of my heart that can never be replaced. My first pet out of my 3. I got her to help with my depression, and she truly did. I know it sounds so strange, but a part of me wants to dig her back up just to hold her again. Thank you all so, so much, again. I am taking my 2 to the vet tomorrow for a check-up. I am hoping to finally build a bond with Rose since she hasn't trusted me much in the year and a half that I've owned her. We're all each other has in relation to guinea pigs, so I hope to be able to comfort her and help her adjust.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 am

As I was told, soft, gentle talking and LOTS of treats will help with everything concerning a guinea pig! Don't avoid picking her up. If necessary use a fleece rag or a cuddle cup to put her on/in. She needs that as much, if not more, than you do. Good luck.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 pm

I agree. Hold her, or at least get her out of the pen and do floortime somewhere safe. I have a pig that doesn't like to be held, but he'll come visit if you sit in the middle of his floor time area.

GPlover1996

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 pm

I am incredibly sorry for your loss.
As some one who experienced almost the same exact trauma as you with my pig, I understand your feelings of guilt. However, the other writers are right; it can be incredibly difficult to know when your pig is sick. Often times they hide the sickness until it is too late. Take each day as it comes and do not shame your emotions through the process. The grieving will take time.
You and your pig are in my thoughts.