One of my 3 guinea pigs died - should I adopt another one

Marbels123

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Hello,

Sadly my baby Marvin passed rainbow bridge a few days ago. I’m giving my other two babies some time to grieve but I was wondering if I should get another pig. What are your thoughts?

Marvin was a beta and my two remaining pigs are alphas. The one pig (Keith) is very independent and sassy and doesn’t let the other pig (Charlie) near here for meals or anything else. Keith was the same with Marvin. Charlie tolerated Marvin and would sleep with her but nipped her a lot.

So neither of them were super attached to Marvin (and they’re eating and drinking like normal thank goodness) so I’m wondering if I should get another piggy or just get Charlie a stuffed pig to snuggle at night.

They’re both around 4 and so is the pig I’m looking at (who is also an alpha) so I’m worried about their group dynamic and the cost benefit of getting them a piggy friend.

Thank you for your time and answers!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Are Charlie and Keith both males? If so, I wouldn't get another unless you're prepared for the possibility of having three solo pigs, none of which will live with another. Boar threesomes almost never work, and it's just not worth the effort to try.

Marbels123

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 pm

They’re females, sorry should have clarified!

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 am

I'm a little confused. Are your two remaining pigs sharing a cage? And how big is the cage/cages?

Schreiner

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am

Sorry to hear that Marbles. It seems like this didn't create a lot of disturbance so I probably wouldn't do anything for now. It's up to you though.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Do you think they would get along any better with a neutered boar?

When a pig dies and the herd changes, it can cause a new pecking order. I'd revisit the introductions information on the GL references and see if any tips there will help you re-establish order with the sows. Sometimes a buddy bath and a clean pen is all they need. I wouldn't introduce a new bossy pig to two other bossy pigs. I'd see if I could find a more docile pig. I'd also put multiple food stations and water bottles and hideys all around the cage, one more than you have pigs, so they can't block everything.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 am

I am so sorry for your lost of Marvin. RIP little Miss! Run free, popcorn in paradise and eat the fresh grass. Sending big hugs. If you have a rescue near you perhaps take Charlie and Keith to a rescue and see if they like any pigs, you never know they might. Otherwise I would leave them as a twosome.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

As for getting a third, that depends on the size of your cage.

Rest in peace, Marvin. You are loved and missed.