New to guinea pigs - Hair loss on head and rash

bcaravan

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi All,

I am new to guinea pigs and we have two young males, Smore and Taramel. We've had them for two weeks and our daughters have already come to love them. We only recently started handling them and they have been absolutely perfect to handle and seem to be very comfortable playing and being handled.

Just a day ago we noticed that one of them had developed a bald spot on its head and looks to have some skin irritation. I have done some reading and think that it may be mange mites however we don't see it anywhere else on his body and he doesn't seem to be itching at all. I was hoping to upload some photos but I can't figure out how to add them to this post.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I've enjoy reading the forums and the great knowledge of the people on these forums.

Thanks

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:52 pm

If the skin is flaky/scaly, it's very possible that it could be a fungal infection since it sounds like the problem is just on that bald spot. Here's the fungus page with more information- for minor fungal infections I've had good luck with miconazole cream. Fungus sounds most likely to me but it is possible that it's something else- a vet visit to be sure never hurts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 pm

If you have clear, crisp photos, you can send them to me to post:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:04 am

Here are the pictures you sent me. It does look most likely fungal.