Baytril Enrofloxyn 10% dosing Enrofloxacin Question--HELP!

Heyruthie

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello, All,

I need help calculating dose. The Baytril calculator doesn't say what strength suspension it's using, plus it's in Mg not Ml. I have 10% oral suspension for a piggie who is .62 kg. The calculation chart is in Mg of medication, and since it's oral suspension, I need it in Ml, and I just want to be sure! When I put in her weight, it said 3.84 mg. Should I give her 3.84 Ml/cc's?

PLEASE NO FLAMES, I have several older rescue piggies--piggies that were going to euthanized. I want to do the best I can for them, with the resources I have. This piggie was rescued over 2 years ago, right before she was going to be euthanized.

Here are the details on the piggie:
In the past, I decided that because I have some geriatric (older) piggies, I wanted to keep Baytril on hand, in case I detect any URI or pneumonia at any point--they seem to go downhill so fast once it hits, and I wanted to have it available if i needed it. My oldest girl (6+ years old) started wheezing and coughing this morning, and she's been losing weight lately, too. (She's always been a small piggie, but now she is really tiny.) I want to dose her correctly with some Baytril, but I haven't used this particular one before. Based on a recommendation I found on these boards (I can't remember who) I purchased a bottle of oral suspension from an online bird supply, that is labeled as follows: Enrofloxyn 10%. She currently weighs .62kg (yes, she's small.)

Heyruthie

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 pm

OK, I am updating this post with updated info. I have found more labeling for the medication, and I've been able to read it more carefully, and it states that the 10% is 100mg of medication per 1ml. That's SUPER concentrated! So she will need a much smaller dose than I was originally thinking.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Sounds like you have the info you need to calculate it.
See www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 pm

And just so you know, milliliters (ML) and cc's (cubic centimeters) are the same thing.

And any liquid medication will be measured in [some measure]/ml, usually in milligrams per milliliter. And milligrams per cc would be the same amount.