Cannible Guinea Pig

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Pigs also cannot just be put together in a cage and be expected to get along. There is a write up in the care section of this forum that explains how to properly do an introduction. Males in particular can be choosy about who they get as a cage mate. Age doesn't matter as much as personality. But it is vital to also give them the proper cage space.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:49 pm

I personally would have had them switched. They are not my pigs. The boars got along fine. The baby boars were not yet Hormonal due to age and the cage was half built. I told her to move the babies before they re bred with the mom which in my opinion would have been worse than a few disagreements between pigs. The Midwest Plus habitat which is what she had is slightly smaller than a 2x3 c and c cage which can house 2 pigs. The boars were babies not quite breeding age and that's why we thought they'd be fine. She was building a 2x8 cage

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 pm

A 2x3 C&C cage is NOT recommended for boars, ever. It's the bare minimum for two sows, and larger is recommended.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 am

When she bought the male and female she thought she had two sows. It’s all we had to work with at the time. Would the fact that these two baby boats were still the size of my hand not change that fact? From what I have understood baby animals don’t always need as much room as adults while they are little. That’s what I’d like to know. I’ve seen people keep as many as 4 grown boars in tiny cages and have no problems (I’ve tried correcting them every time though pointing to c and c cages) that’s why I’m concerned. I’ve never seen any pig other than a mother do this before

Kimera

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:52 am

If they are indeed guinea pigs, then cannibalism is a sign of very large mind and possibly body imbalance. In other words, they are very sick.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 pm

The only time I have been aware of any pigs attacking other pigs to death is when the cage was too small for the herd and the resources were low. When I was a child, an acquaintance watched over our pigs - but turned out that she was lazy and kept 3 adults in a small aquarium and didn't feed them often enough. My favorite boar died because he couldn't compete for food and the other two attacked him. My mother was horrified, but we were all lied to. (The remaining pigs were quickly moved to someone else's care til we got settled into our new apartment.) So, anyway, I also think that there's something else going on, as guinea pigs may bite but not generally eat/dismember one another if they have adequate supplies and housing.