Rosie's Med Thread

Annapox

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 pm

My new guinea pig, Rosie, appears to have some dandruff on her butt. (My guess is that the dandruff is also everywhere else, but her butt is black.) From what I've read, this can be a sign of mites. Are there any other causes of dandruff-like flakes, or is it safe to assume that mites are the cause? So far I'm not seeing any other symptoms.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm

In my opinion, depending on size and age, I'd just treat them with Ivermectin or Revolution. Revolution is more expensive but it can be used on babies if vet will give it. If Rosie is an adult, Ivermectin would be cheaper. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will check in and give a good opinion. But either way, it would be more of a guarantee that this would take care of any mites they might have.

Annapox

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

I don't know exactly how old she is; I was told she's about a year old, and the vet says she's definitely young, but she's old enough that her age is difficult to pin down. Where can I find Ivermectin?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm

It's not age that determines whether ivermectin can be given, it's weight. If she weighs less than 350 grams, she needs kitten Revolution. Otherwise, ivermectin.

You want either the 1% injectable (which you don't inject, but pour on) or the .5% pour-on stuff.

Durvet Ivermectin Pour On Dewormer 250mL from Amazon is pretty reasonably priced -- it's the .5% stuff, I think. The 1% injectable stuff is Generic Ivermectin Injection - 50 ml.

Annapox

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am

She weighs over a kilogram, so ivermectin it is. Is it .2 mg/kg or .5 mg/kg? I saw both dosages in the ivermectin guide.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 am

There are charts for those kinds of ivermectin based on weight.

Here's the one for the 1% solution: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html
Here's the one for the .5% pour-on: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am

I would not rule out a fungal issue. They can be concurrent. Note that if you have multiple pigs, they all would need to be treated for mites (multiple times if using ivermectin).

A Nizoral shampoo would treat various skin fungal issues like yeast infections (which cause dandruff).
fungus.html

Annapox

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

So I should treat both my pigs for both mites and fungus?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Personally, I would give a NIzoral shampoo and then apply a mite treatment after your guinea pig is clean and dry.

Annapox

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I can do that, once the shampoo and the ivermectin arrive. But I have to do multiple treatments, right? How many do I need to do, and how far apart should they be?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Weekly, for three weeks, on the ivermectin. I'd use the shampoo more often, and for a shorter period.

Truth be told, unless she's scratching, I'd only treat for the fungus. If that didn't work, then I'd do the mites.

Annapox

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 pm

I noticed the dandruff is gone today. Does that mean the problem has resolved itself, or do I go ahead and treat for fungus?