Misadventures of Max (and others)

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Dang, why are so many good guinea homes getting nailed right now?

First, I'm so sorry to hear about Gus, I've been out of it for awhile and missed your thread.

Second, did you think of giving him Vit. C in larger quantities to try to break up the stone?

Third, smile to you and yours. :)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Hadn't heard that C would do anything like that. Do you have a reference?

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Only from my vet and my last boar stone experience. We used Vit C to acidify the digestive tract and flush out the sludge. Meloxicam to help with the pain. And SMZ-152 (generic for antibiotic) to help with infection. It was a 3mm stone, over a period of 3 weeks it did break up and he did pass it. It was a little taste of hell, but, my boy is still with us and we've not had any more trouble.

Zazzified was also researching "shillintong". Sounds promising.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:52 pm

For Now, An End

Today Gopher lost his battle with his bladder stone. It was decided not to continue invasive surgery to dislodge a poorly placed stone stuck in his urethra. Two vets tried for an hour and a half with no success. He had sludge in the urine they extracted. I decided it was kinder to let him go.

On the plus side, he lived another month with us and became a nicer pig in the end.

Junior was learning to feed him breakfast and hay.

He enjoyed the big pen by himself the last week or so, had all the veg he could eat, and even got a new house.

I'm sorry Gopher. I tried.

I'm sorry, all of you.

2009 has been THE most heartbreaking year for us for our pets. We lost all four pigs and a cat in just a few months.

I am taking a break. My heart needs to heal.

Good-bye, my little friends. Rest well. We will miss you very, very much.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm so terribly sorry RS for all the losses you guys have had. It must be so heartbreaking.

Rest well sweet Gopher and know how much you are missed.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Oh, RS :( I am so very sorry :(( I feel like I can't find any words for such tragic losses. *hugs*

CavyConfusion
Cavy Slave since '05

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:47 pm

RS, I'm so sorry for your losses.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm sorry, Ravenshade.

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:56 am

Dang Ravenshade. I'm very sorry.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 am

I'm so sorry, RS. It has been a hard, hard year for you. I know how you feel. It is so difficult on our hearts, and so many times I forged ahead and took in more sanctuary piggies. No more. I am down to 2 and 1 rabbit (poor Millie). I'm just burnt out.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm

A New Beginning

I had grown frustrated with people asking me to take pigs where the situation was workable, or where they got in over their heads, or where they took in a sick pig and I didn't want to end up with the vet bills. I don't like bailing people out of their own stupidity. Further, I'd been only working PT for several years and didn't feel like I had the finances to properly care for them.

So forward to this November. I'm in a stable decent-paying job. I've paid off a few debs from my PT days. Junior is now nine, and taking much better care of the cats than she used to. We'd lost our dear Bad Cat a few years ago and provided a home to a new cat who has settled in nicely. I thought it was time to reconsider being pigless. Shortly before Thanksgiving, a friend posted a plea to find a trio of boars a new home. I had ignored it once, but when it came back up in my feed again, I took it under serious consideration.

They were obviously well-loved. The daughter (owner) had given them a huge C&C cage and they came with it, all accessories, Oxbow hay and pellets, etc. Other than the fact that they were all pet store pigs at one point, they were obviously well taken care of and well loved. All were healthy. I couldn't see splitting up a working herd so we took all three. They were in need of a home because after some effort in getting the mother's allergies/asthma under control, it was just no longer workable for her. They were housed on fleece, so we've been continuing that, and I find I rather like it. They are spoiled.

Junior is delighted with her boars. Well, we kind of share them. My favorite is the one that looks like Gopher. He's the smallest one, but he's the friendliest. He'll wait for you to stroke his nose before he runs off to eat hay or veg. He'll sit with you quite happily for hours. He's a good boy. His buddies are a cream/white/black smooth haired boar (who is the fattest) and a black and white Abyssinian. Their names are Reggie, Flame, and Wendell and they are about a year and change old. It took them a few days to find their voices but now they know exactly who to wheek at. Good thing they are cute. They are also so confident! Many times we'll find them lounging outside their pigloos, just chill. They were well socialized before we got them. And I have never seen pigs popcorn so much! A clean fleece will send Flame into major popcorning and zooming. Just the other day I thought Reggie was going to popcorn sideways into a pigloo.

The cats are very very curious about our "pig room" but we keep them out.

So...many years on, we have pigs again. Mr. RS was very clear that he was only going to hold them/pet them. None of this cage cleaning business. I said that was very reasonable.

Onward, to a new chapter.

tashab

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Congrats on the new family members! I'm glad you have Junior as a helper