Pellets

milka

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 am

Do guinea pigs have to have pellets? I can’t find good quality pellets in my country and the good quality pellets are too expensive when I find.I am thinking about feed them without pellets. They have unlimited hay and I feed them daily with vegetables and fruits.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 am

It is possible for them to go without pellets as long as they have good quality hay and veggies. Some are on pellet-free diets anyway. You could have them delivered but that might cost a lot, too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 am

No, they're just a convenient way to make sure they get the vitamins and minerals they need. Make sure they have a very good quality hay, and feed them vegetables with a lot of color.

You might be able to order Vita-Drops Multi-vitamins. We don't ordinarily recommend multi-vitamins, because if given too freely, the pig may wind up with a fat-soluble vitamin overdose. But I've given them to senior pigs that had hair loss and a very dull coat, and they worked just fine. Don't put them in the water bottle, as it suggests, but sprinkle a few drops over the veggies three or four times a week.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Read all the dietary info here and try to emphasize greens. Collect fresh grass etc. to increase the variety.

www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

milka

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:43 pm

It’s their diet
https://i.hizliresim.com/pG31Yq.jpg

Is the diet enough for them?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:05 pm

I can't read it -- it won't enlarge enough. But I can tell from looking at it that it's unnecessarily complicated.

I took two of my pigs off pellets because one had recurring problems with stones. I fed them, daily, red or green leaf lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, a chunk of carrot, and radicchio. When I could get it, I fed them fresh corn husks (the inner green ones) and corn silks. And depending on what else I had in the refrigerator, they might get some English cucumber or slices of summer squash or some celery.

They're not picky, and you don't have to plan a rotating variety for them. I buy whatever looks the freshest and feed it until it's gone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Ditto bpatters. Yes, unnecessarily complicated. Simpler here:
www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

milka

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:19 pm

My 1 year old male guinea pig’ weight changing between 910-950g. It makes me worry but he eating and drinking very well. My youngest pig is over 920g. My older guinea pig has no illness. Do I have to have Multi-vitamins for them?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Multi-vitamins are actually not recommended. Provide a varied and good diet. Read the links above to dietary info.

Daddy07

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 am

My 1 year old male guinea pig’ weight changing between 910-950g. It makes me worry but he eating and drinking very well. My youngest pig is over 920g. My older guinea pig [spam] prêt [/url] has no illness. Do I have to have Multi-vitamins for them?
Don't worry because it's normal

milka

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Which vegetables do I give them in daily? I feed them twice in daily. My young pig eats too fast so I think that my other pig won’t get enough vegetable, but I can’t really find high quality pellet...

milka

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 pm

for their haff diet