How to begin choosing a new companion?

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Okay, that's good advice.

Thanks for all the help!

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm

So we went to visit the guinea pig, she was so sweet. She seemed scared, not really been held much and was shaking. She was a good weight, not skinny. She was in a smallllll cage by herself with barely any bedding just the hard plastic bottom, so I know she'll be happier in our 4x2 (soon to be 5x2) C&C with nice girly fleece. :-) Her nails were so long they were curling under. :-( Any suggestions on cutting them when they are that long?

My son wanted to bring her home right away, but I need to be able to be at home to do introductions as you guys suggested and watch them, so I told her we'd be coming on Saturday to get her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Get some cat nail scissors. If you can get the kind that are closed in all way around, and not open like regular scissors, it makes it easier to avoid cutting something you shouldn't. Here's the link with two spaces in it, one after htt and one after amazon. It won't post it otherwise. You'll have to copy and paste.

htt ps://www.amazon .com/JW-Pet-Company-Deluxe-Trimmer/dp/B000OWYOUQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1513121206&sr=8-5&keywords=cat+nail+clippers

Lynx, can you figure out why the board won't let you paste a link?
Last edited by bpatters on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks, I have those for Amy and Marlene. I just didn't know if the "quick" of her nail would be longer b/c her nails are so long?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 pm

The quick of the nail does extend further into a longer nail. If you are concerned, clip just the tips, and repeat weekly. The quick will recede over time and allow you to cut the nails shorter. It's not a big deal if you do draw blood. When I've gone too far (many times) they don't seem to hold a grudge. Back in the cage with a treat and they immediately forget.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes, and you can use flour to stop the bleeding.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 pm

bpatters, the software treats amazon links weird. I sometimes use code tags around them for copy and pasting.

The code tags are these without the spaces: [ c ] stuff in between [ / c] to give this:

I do not know if this is the link but tried:
https://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Deluxe-Trimmer/dp/B000OWYOUQ

Read this over too:
nails.html

marlenes mom

Post   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks!!

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 pm

bpatters, I think I disagree about doing quarantine. I would do it. You don't know what the previous pig died from and it sounds like the previous owner was not providing the very best of care. The new pig would probably not have mites but it's possible to have an illness. You never know unless you quarantine. At the very least, it gives the new pig time to get used to new people and a new environment (and better food) before an introduction that will no doubt be stressful already.

marlenes mom

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 pm

WICharlie, the other pig died over 8 months ago. Do you think that it is still necessary?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeah, I was basing on the fact that it had been quite a while since the other pig died.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

I don't think this pig could have an illness caught from the other pig. But, I've heard so many stories from people who were surrendering their pigs to the rescue over the years. The most common are: "We're moving and can't take them with...we're allergic...we don't have time for it anymore...the kids don't take care of them...etc., etc." And then I have the pig for a few days and find out that; the pig has lice, an ear infection, unusual masses, a limp that I wasn't told about, a cough, sneezes, diarrhea or trouble expelling poos, is pregnant, has unhealed sores, sits in the corner hunched up, etc., etc. You get the picture. The bottom line is that this neighbor wants to get rid of the pig. It sounds like the excuse is that she believes it is lonely (I've heard that one too!). So if it's a young pig and she's only had it a short time, why not get it a companion instead of getting rid of it?

What do you know about how this pig (and the other one) was cared for? What were they fed? When the other pig got sick, did the owner notice? Did they take it to a vet? What did it die from? Many of the things that I have mentioned above do not show up until you have had the pig a bit and have had a chance to observe it. I would err on the side of caution unless you have been over to this neighbor's home on a regular basis, have witnessed the care, and know this neighbor very well. Otherwise I would never take the chance.

At the very least, you need to get an initial weight on the pig and make sure it is eating properly and acting right. And that usually takes a week or so for the pig to get used to the new environment, new people, and probably new diet. Initially they are scared and don't act like they will once they relax a bit. And while they are in that scared stage they will suppress any symptoms of an illness even more so than they would otherwise.