Switching to new pellets.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm

I am currently switching my guinea pigs from young guinea pig pellets (alfalfa based) to an adult timothy pellet (both are Oxbow). On the back of the package, it says to transition by first mixing in 1/4 new feed for the first week, then 1/2, then 3/4, and it's 4 weeks before they're eating only the new pellets. Is it necessary to use such a gradual method? It seems a bit overcomplicated to me.

JX4

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm

I switched mine cold turkey with no issues. I have even switched brands from Oxbow to KMS with no issues. There's a reason "pig" is in these cute little guinea pigs' name.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 am

I agree with JX4. However if you want to use up the alfalfa based pellets, you can mix them half and half for a while until those are gone.

lisam

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm

I go cold turkey as well. Otherwise the pigs waste the new stuff trying to get to the old stuff.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Okay, I have just switched. Cold turkey, because one of my pigs has pretty cloudy urine very consistently and I'm afraid of too much calcium. I didn't want to delay switching, and I guess it's fine to just switch. Thanks!