Flake is not eating + injured foot

Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm

bpatters wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm He may be eating them all. Pigs sometimes do that when they're ill.

But it also may be a sign of him not eating enough. How much food are you getting in him with the hand-feeding?
I'm almost sure he isn't eating them. I'm managing to give 10-15cc each 2-3 hour, he's weighing 850g.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 pm

That's a good amount. Consider yourself successful at hand-feeding!

Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm

bpatters wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 pm That's a good amount. Consider yourself successful at hand-feeding!
Thanks, my girlfriend is helping me a lot, hand-feeding requires SO MUCH patience, for us and for the pig.

Kimera

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 am

Try to make his food for hand feeding as tasty as you can by flavoring it with herbs or vegetable juice. It may spark his interest in eating and make feeding easier. Fresh mint, basil or parsley leaves may also interest him in eating.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 am

Kimera wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 am Try to make his food for hand feeding as tasty as you can by flavoring it with herbs or vegetable juice. It may spark his interest in eating and make feeding easier. Fresh mint, basil or parsley leaves may also interest him in eating.
Thanks for the tip, I will try.

Good news, Flake is now pooping! They're small but still better than nothing.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Hello, tomorrow is Flake's last day on medicine, today he tried to eat lettuce/pepper, but he bites one or two times and then gives up, is that because he still in pain? Or the teeth are too short?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm

It really depends on how short the teeth were cut. Can he pick up the food with his incisors?

FYI, it's not a bad idea at all to tell the vet not to trim the incisors. If the molars are working as they should, the incisors will be the right length.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

bpatters wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm It really depends on how short the teeth were cut. Can he pick up the food with his incisors?

FYI, it's not a bad idea at all to tell the vet not to trim the incisors. If the molars are working as they should, the incisors will be the right length.
I'm not sure if he can pick up the food, he can bite it, but I don't know if this is enough to him to eat, there is a photo on this thread and you said that maybe the incisors are too short...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm

He has to be able to work the food back to his molars with his incisors. Once the food gets back there, the grinding motion in addition to the incisors keeps the food going toward the back of his mouth.

In the meantime, you can cut food into matchstick portions and push them into his mouth back to his molars. If he can then chew and eat those, the incisors will eventually straighten themselves out.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 pm

bpatters wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm He has to be able to work the food back to his molars with his incisors. Once the food gets back there, the grinding motion in addition to the incisors keeps the food going toward the back of his mouth.

In the meantime, you can cut food into matchstick portions and push them into his mouth back to his molars. If he can then chew and eat those, the incisors will eventually straighten themselves out.
I tried that but he won't chew with his back teeth, I gave him a lot of options to eat now, he tried to eat, he manage to pick them with his incisors but can't eat, I'm almost sure the teeth is too short...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 pm

You've read this? It may help you figure out if he can manage on his own:
teeth_broken.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Did they do a skull x-ray to rule out elongated roots and/or abscessed teeth? Either of those will make a pig unwilling to chew.