How to begin choosing a new companion?

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:19 pm

We would like to adopt a friend for our almost 3yo guinea pig, Amy. I would prefer to get an older pig around her age. I know that it could be tricky to find a friend with whom she will get along. Is it better to look for a female or male (neutered of course) friend or doe it just depend on the pig?

Amy is pretty docile, Marlene was the bossier of the two.

Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 pm

It definitely depends on the guinea pig. Do you have any rescues in your area? They would be likely to know what kind of disposition their guinea pigs had and might have an older guinea pig.

marlenes mom

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am

I have found one place, but right now they only have young males and I don't think they've been neutered. I've emailed them but I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I've called some shelters too, none have pigs.

There's a great rescue place 3 hrs away in Asheville, NC that has a lot of pigs in foster homes, so we could set up a trip to meet some, but I just didn't want to put Amy through that if possible. I'm worried that a long drive and a "meet and greet" would be too stressful for her? I also don't know when we'd be able to do the trip with the holidays coming up. She seems to be doing okay, not losing weight but she just looks so lonely in that big cage. :-(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 am

If you have a veterinarian, you could let him/her know you are looking for an older guinea pig (female or neutered male).

Ashville is a great place to visit! Wishing you luck.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 am

Three hours isn't too long for a pig. I took one of mine on a six hour drive to meet and friend, and with traffic, it turned into ten hours. She survived better than I did!

marlenes mom

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks guys!

I'll call around here to rescues this week and if there's not a good match, I might make the trip with Amy. :-)

marlenes mom

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 pm

After a neighborhood email asking about rescue organizations, a family contacted me about rehoming their pig so that she isn't alone. She is 4 yo and her cage mate passed away 8 months ago. The only strange thing is that the owner wasn't sure that "she" was actually a "she"? Isn't that a little strange? How can I confirm??

I think we are gonna go over and visit (without Amy first) soon, though now I'm starting to panic with guilt along with worry about going through what we just went through....

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Take your pig with you. Two of you each hold a pig, turn them over, and compare their private parts.

A normal male guinea pig has very pronounced testicles. Even one with small testicles should look markedly different than a sow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Look over this page too and check the links to more advice:
www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

bpatters idea of comparing the two pigs is a great idea.

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks for the link! That is helpful. I thought we might see testicles on a four year old!

Good idea, I think I'll take Amy and compare. Thanks guys. :-)

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Okay, going over to meet the pig tomorrow. She said I could bring Amy, should we let them actually meet?

Also, quarantine? She's been in a private home her whole life (solo pig for 8 months), do you think it's necessary?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 pm

No, I wouldn't let them meet. If they're going to, it needs to be at a time when they can spend several hours together working out their dominance issues. Here's a good article on introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

And I wouldn't quarantine under those circumstances.