5 year old with stones/passing strange objects

anjuhluh

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I usually just flush his bladder by syringing him water. I think last time they said 13 mls of water will flush the bladder and I usually try to give him more than that in case he dribbles some of it out. I sent a message to one of the vet techs that I trusted and asked her if she knew of any clinics that could help him. I am hoping she sees it and is willing to respond.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I added a crop of the largest size to display the pics. It is hard to tell how large the stones are. That tiny stones existed in the matter that was passed may be an encouraging sign if the other stones are too large or rough, as bpatters points out. The shilintong is definitely worth giving a try.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Our vet prescribed valium to relax the urethra and meloxacam for pain in hopes our pig might be more likely to pass stones.
They're shaped like poops which makes me think they're coming from the colon. They look too big to pass thru the urethra, but what do I know. Maybe they're soft enough to be shaped by the urethra? I've never seen anything like that.

I'd try another vet. ASAP. This site has a list of recommended vet grouped by state that might be helpful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Very good point, Bookfan. An interesting observation on the shape.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewforum.php?f=97

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Similar to valium, my vet once prescribed ativan as a muscle relaxant to help pass a stone. My guinea pig did pass the stone successfully about a week later. I can't say if it was due to the ativan but it didn't hurt. I was also giving her shillintong and veggies and fruits with the highest water content.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm

We've got 2 stone pigs right now. One's going in today for a suspected bladder infection, which frequently happen with stones. We'll also get set up to do sub-q's at home for Pepper who has both stones & an infection. The sub-q's will help flush the bladder.