Mila MIGHT be pregnant

Coco+Mila

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Cavy lovers!

I am new to this forum :) I joined this forum because I am concerned that my 7 week old American guinea pig Mila might be pregnant. I got her 2 days ago from a breeder to accompany my Abyssinian, Coco which is 5 months old (according to the petshop). I bought Coco 3 days ago.

I assume Mila is pregnant mainly for the fact that she is bigger than Coco (who is much older) . She also has a very apparent pear shape body, Coco on the other hand does not. Mila also has more appetite for food but she also rests more. I asked the breeder a while ago if Mila was kept with a male(s) and she said yes.....

I have been scouring forums and youtube for a definitive guide to know if a sow is pregnant and how far along she is to no avail. So how do I know for sure ? Please help.

And I know this will come up so I will disclose that where I am from there is no shelter for Guinea pigs, even online. So the only way I could get them is from a petshop/breeder.

Hope to hear from you all soon ☺

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am

Coco+Mila

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am

@bpatters

thanks for the link but I have read that post before writing this post.

I guess there's no other way to confirm the pregnancy but to wait it out. I have tried feeling her belly but there's no movement, i doubt shes at the 6 weeks mark as well. Plus she doesnt really like being touched in the belly . 😔

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

That's true. There's no way to confirm at all until the bones materialize, and that's several weeks into the pregnancy.

That breeder should be shot.

JX4

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

You need to increase Mila's calcium and Vitamin C intake *now*. If she is only 7 weeks old, her bones are still growing. My Panda got pregnant because we didn't know one of our other pigs was a male (he got neutered as soon as we figured it out), and she was older than Mila is now, though she was still growing too. The developing babies robbed her own bones of nutrients and calcium, and the heads of both her femurs broke later in the pregnancy.

For awhile I thought they broke during delivery, but as I look back on it, I think they broke before that, because the last couple of weeks of her pregnancy she didn't move much at all, and when she did she just dragged the bottom half of herself an inch or two. I chalked that up to how huge she was (she had 4 pups inside her), but now I think her femurs were already broken then. What happened is that the heads of the femurs (the ball part of the ball and socket joint) broke off and the socket parts (hip sockets) dissolved. She had no other bone problems, so the vets (yes, plural) think this was due to the babies robbing nutrients and those particular ball and socket joints bearing the brunt of the stress when she tried to move.

It was a big ordeal to fix her up after the births. She is fine now at almost 3 years old, running and jumping just like all the other pigs we have. You'd never know she doesn't have hip sockets anymore and that the only thing holding her femurs to her spine is cartilage.

So be sure to give her extra nutrients now, and hopefully what happened to Panda won't happen to Mila.