Bumblefoot - coconut oil and Epsom salt

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi all,

I’ve recently rescued two Guinea Pigs. We’ve named them Thelma and Louise.
It appears to me Thelma is overweight compared to Louise. They are just getting slowly comfortable with us and I’ve read a ton already regarding their care and what to do and not to do!!! Wow- a lot!! Thelma will eat out of my hand when I soak her feet right now :)
Back to topic - Thelma was hopping away from me and I noticed he little hocks were quite red. Looked it up and thought oh crap. Sooo I’ve been doing a soak in a dish with a quite saturated cloth in the bottom and sprinkling some Epsom salts on top to let dissolve into the water. They are eucalyptus Epsom salts and have very very little scent esp with the small amount I’m using. Her tummy seems to get wet naturally so I hold her after and get her warm and pat her tummy and then try to rub it down so it’s just a little damp. Then I’m rubbing coconut oil on all 4 feet esp the hocks where they are so red :(
She is eating drinking and pooping fine and doesn’t seem bothered by them. Should I be rinsing her tummy or is the drying off and rubbing it down enough?? Her feet should be fine as I’m lathering them with coconut oil. I would post a pic but I can’t seem to figure out how on here!! She is for now on carefree paper bedding and I’ve been changing it generally every two days and the areas she sleeps and pees the most everyday

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 pm

How much do they weigh?

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm

I have no idea. I haven’t even had a chance to go to the vet. The woman at the sanctuary gave me health check info and so I wasn’t rushing there as they seemed quite happy and healthy. I can only tell by looking at them. Thelma is more round in the tummy but she isn’t hard belly and not bloated. She also from observation seems to be the one to steal food from the Louise, which may explain her portly size.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:42 pm

I suspect but do not know for sure, that the feet are a mechanism for dispersing heat. If her ears are red at the same time, this may be true. Be sure to keep the cage as clean as you can so urine does not burn the skin on the feet. Note if her feet are always red or if they are at all sensitive.

Note the warnings on the pododermatitis page regarding the Epsom salts.
www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Note the guidelines for determining if your guinea pig is at a good weight on this page:
weigh.html

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Cage is super clean. I clean every two days and spot clean the more spiked areas esp where she sleeps every day
She did not get red feet from here. She came to me with them which doesn’t surprise me based on the appearance of her cage at the sanctuary. I just didn’t know to look at her feet when I picked her up.

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:49 pm

She’s not at Bumblefoot stage. She doesn’t have scabs or open sores or anything. They’re just red more so on the hocks

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 pm

A kitchen scale will cost you $15 or less at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon, etc. A scale is the best piece of medical equipment you can have for your pigs. Often loss of weight is the first sign of illness.

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

She not losing weight. She’s fat :)

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm

But I get what you’re saying. It’s been two days only people!! I’m working on it all!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 am

You still need a scale.

As bpatters notes, it is extremely important!! (one of the best things you can do to monitor your guinea pig's health)

ThelmaandLouise

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:11 am

I realize that
I kindof feel like these threads get very shaming of people. I just rescued a guinea Pig from deplorable conditions and it’s been only a few days. Most people would just return them. I’m doing what I can given it’s been a couple of days. Just an answer to my questions is all I would like. Please. I find people here jump on others like they aren’t caring for their pets. These pigs are living in a palace here and will be cared for very well. I just wanted helpful answers

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:02 am

I don't think anyone is jumping on you. You stated that you're a new guinea pig owner, and that you think one of them is overweight. A scale is the only way to know that, and it's an important piece of guinea pig care. Would you rather we just hadn't answered you?

Nobody has said, or suggested, that you're not caring for your guinea pigs. You posted, we tried to respond with helpful information.

But you should realize that this is a forum for exchange of information, and that our focus is on the care of the guinea pigs. We're not much into hand-holding, unless you've got a very sick pig or have lost one. You're very welcome here, but if you don't want us to answer you with what we think your pig needs, then don't post. Just read, and nothing will be directed to you.