Guinea loosing weight

DarylandMurle

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

My Guinea Pig is loosing weight following having his molars filed under gas anaesthetic over a week ago. We hand feed him (syringe) dual care every day he has been getting 20-30g of this at 3 hour intervals plus water about 20-40mls daily. We have had to separate him from the other 8 month old boar as there started to be a bit of bullying from the younger one. Since then I noticed the hair around his eyes has gone thin although today it looks a bit better than yesterday. He still doesn’t pick up food on his own but does show a bit of interest in it. The vet said his front teeth were trimmed back a little and these will grow back in a couple of weeks so just to continue handfeeding until then. Any advice?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 am

How do his front teeth (incisors) look? Check over www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html in case he filed them too short.
Did your guinea pig get pain medication?

It sounds like you are doing the right thing (hand feeding lots - www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html) It sometimes takes a while before they can eat on their own.

DarylandMurle

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 pm

His bottom incisors are very short, the vet said they clipped them back a bit that’s why he can’t pick up food? The bottom ones sit right under the tongue the top incisors seem to have grown a little. I’m hoping they will meet in the middle.

The vet gave metacam for the pain but said to stop using it now and to continue with the emeprid until the bottle is empty, we have stopped this also as his stools are still a bit loose at times, Do you think this is correct to do this?

Could the hair loss around his eyes be stress from the bullying?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:53 pm

It sounds like the vet cut them too short. I suspected this. At least they will grow out.

Do you have crisp clear pictures of the hair loss around the eyes? Are they watering? It could be fungal or from wetness.

Continue to watch for signs of pain though he may be fine.
www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

4 posts • Page 1 of 1