Flake is not eating + injured foot

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm

I noticed today that Flake isn't eating and is not walking correctly, and I saw his foot like this:

I have 3 male guinea pigs, Foster, Chewie and Flake, they're all adults, Foster and Chewie weighs 1.25kg, but Flake only 850g.

I was reading about bumblefoot but it doesn't look like the images I saw, anyway I need your help.

Their bedding is smooth, the others pigs are completely normal, they live in the same space and are always at the same place.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm

It's a little hard to tell because of the lighting, but it could well be bumblefoot that's so advanced that it's gangrenous. If he were mine, I'd get him into a vet. If that's what it is, he needs an antibiotic to keep it from penetrating to the bone.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 pm

bpatters wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm It's a little hard to tell because of the lighting, but it could well be bumblefoot that's so advanced that it's gangrenous. If he were mine, I'd get him into a vet. If that's what it is, he needs an antibiotic to keep it from penetrating to the bone.
I took him to the vet, he said Flake is dehydrated and the feet is injured because his nails are long and his weight was on the end of his foot (he didn't care much about the foot), he also said that Flake has cramps. Flake is now on a drip and will take antibiotics, I hope he get well soon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:29 am

This sounds like an unusual diagnosis. Please keep us informed of Flake.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am

Lynx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:29 am This sounds like an unusual diagnosis. Please keep us informed of Flake.
Yes... I wen't to the vet but I couldn't see Flake because there are "visit hours" and it's in one and a half hour from now, anyway, he told me that he's still not eating but he is also not worse, I'm going there later and I will talk to him about bumblefoot as he seem to ignore this.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:09 pm

Updating, I saw Flake and nothing changed, at least he didn't lose weight, but he still don't eat, I will take him to another vet as this one said that "the foot is not the cause that Flake is not eating".

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 pm

...at least he didn't lose weight, but he still don't eat...
Are you hand feeding him and weighing at least once a day?
handfeeding.html

Atomicoxy

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 am

Lynx wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Are you hand feeding him and weighing at least once a day?
handfeeding.html
I took him to another vet and she is wonderful, she kept asking question about him for almost 2 hours while the last vet asked maybe one or two questions! Anyway, I took x-rays of him today and I will have the answer today, it's probably a teeth problem and a surgery will probably be necessary, about his foot, she said the color is not the problem but he does have an onset of pododermatitis and gave a kind of Ozone Oil to put in his foot daily. I am handing feeding him and I will also weigh him soon, I'm also giving him ibuprofen 50mg/ml, 4 drops per 4 hour. I will keep you guys updated, sorry for any grammar mistake.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 am

I am hoping he improves!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm

This sounds MUCH better, as far as the vet goes. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Flake is entering surgery room in a few minutes, I will keep you guys updated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:51 pm

I am hoping for a successful surgery!

Let me know if you'd like the foot pic added permanently to your thread for future readers.