Teeth

Islinger

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Hello, I have a sweet male guinea pig 2.5 years old named Ferris. Have had him since he was 3 weeks old.
We were on vacation and when I came back Ferris's water bottle was empty. I believe it was for only a short time. All of my birds and five guinea pigs had been well cared for by a family I trust very much. He was not eating normally the days that followed my return. So I brought him to my vet, which I trust very much. She treated him with an injection of Metacam, Metoclopramide and sub-q fluids for possible dehydration. I began hand feeding him 3 times a day with crittical care. He still did not eat on his own. I took him back for x-rays. It showed 2 areas of gas. I treated him with baby-gas-x and metoclopraide and he seemed better but still would not eat. Last Friday he was put under and had his teeth checked. The vet found his lower teeth needed some filing down. No signs of abscess and tongue was not damaged. They took an x-ray of his head while under and no problems with the teeth. I have been continuing with the metoclopramide, gas-x, antibiotics and metacam. I hand feed him 3 times a day. He seems to be able to eat greens when I hold him but will not eat in his cage on his own. The vet wants me to continue with full critical care feedings for a few days till his teeth wear in a pattern he is used to, like when we get a new crown and it feels not quite normal for a few days. I think he is just used to Mom hand feeding him and doesn't want to on his own. What can I do to get him to eat on his own. I would do anything for him but it takes 30 minutes, 3 times a day to hand feed him. Any advice?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Are you weighing him at least once a day? Is he losing weight?
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Islinger

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 am

I have been able to keep his weight the same. Yes I do have a scale and weigh him. I did observe him eat some greens tonight. He seems to now be able to chew them successfully. I also encourage lots of activity. He just has to somehow become interested in eating his own food in his cage.