New Pet Bedding Materials?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 pm

How does using wood pellets as bedding work? Do you put something on top of them (like a piece of fleece)? Can the dust be irritating and cause sneezing? I think using wood pellets would be good, but I don't understand exactly how you use them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:00 pm

You fill the bottom of the cage with them. Some people use fleece over them (I do), but others don't.

They're only dusty when you pour them in or stir them. In a very short amount of time, the urine makes the top layer dissolve into sawdust, which is packed in like a floor and can even be brushed. That layer stays absorbent for a long time, but the pellets will occasionally need to be stirred.

If I had a kitchen loft, I wouldn't bother with the fleece. But mine drag their food all over the cage, and I think lettuce covered in saw dust isn't very appetizing.

I've used wood pellets for years, and wouldn't change for anything short of a truly self-cleaning cage that I didn't have to touch. At this point, I haven't changed the pellets in nearly six months, and am not close to needing to change again. The last change cost me less than $16, so I'm on track for a year's worth of pellets for less than $35.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Wow, that sounds great! I'm pretty sure I"ll be getting a C&C cage soon, so I really want to try that, rather than messing around with making MORE fleece pads that will no doubt just be burrowed under.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 am

Mine don't eat the fleece, but they do sometimes pull back the corners, so whatever's underneath should be OK for them to eat, just in case.