Renavive

Starrlite921

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi all, I have a male piggy that recently had surgery for a large bladder stone. In addition to a low calcium diet from now on, I was looking into Renavive to prevent any more stones. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this. What dosage would I give if I used the capsules, would I give it every day as a preventative measure, or once a week?

These are the pills I’m thinking of ordering:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00271CMTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RWziAb7M8ZSGV

Thanks in advance,
Jaclyn

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 pm

You can google Renavive on these forums and find a few references.

I tend to think it won't work, but haven't had occasion to try it. But the premise is that it dissolves kidney/bladder stones in carnivores. They have acidic urine, and guinea pigs have basic urine. So what dissolves in one is probably not going to dissolve in the other. So unless Renavive does something else farther up in the urinary tract than the bladder, I don't see it being very effective.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:08 pm

This is just my personal experience. I have nothing scientific to back it up--so take it with a grain of salt. I have been using Renavive for about 8 months on my stone pig, Marty. He had surgery to remove a bladder stone in October 2016 (at age 2) and a second in March 2017. Despite being put on a low calcium diet immediately after the first surgery, he developed the second stone only a few months later. The second one also grew much more quickly than the first one. We started him on Renavive as a preventative measure as soon as he was given the all-clear after the second surgery, and we haven't seen any signs of stones. (Big knock on wood here!)

This is just what I've been doing based on anecdotal evidence found here and other places. Typically, I go through cycles with it. Once a month, I'll give it once a day for a week to sort of flush his system. The rest of the time, I give it roughly 2-3 times a week. For dosage, I sprinkle a small amount of the powder--kind of the amount you could scoop up with just the tip of a 10 cc syringe. I then add a splash of some kind of 100% fruit juice to help counter the potent smell of the Renavive, and add enough water to make roughly 10ccs. Our vet recommends extra fluids to prevent bladder stones, so I try to give him as more water. Marty has no problem taking that amount, but you could add less water and just have a more concentrated solution.

Whether it's truly the Renavive, or we've just gotten lucky, I really couldn't say. I will say that he leaves more powdery deposits around the cage when he pees than he did before he ever formed the stones. I have no idea if this is good or bad--but since he's on a low calcium diet, I've kind of been thinking along the lines of "better out than in."

Starrlite921

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks so much. I appreciate the info. 🙂

Starrlite921

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:17 pm

CavyDad what kind of fruit juice do you use, just curious. Thanks!

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 pm

I have tried pineapple juice and apple juice--I just make sure to buy ones that are 100% juice and water. Anything with added sugar or vague ingredient lists, I avoid.

Starrlite921

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Awesome, thanks so much. 🙂