Sick Guinea Pig with Diarrhea

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 pm

You can use plain vitamin C. You want to give about 50 mg per day, so you'll probably have to crush the tablets. Or, you might be able to find a children's tablet that's orange flavored -- most pigs seem to like those.

Alternatively, you can find Vita Drops liquid vitamin C at most pet stores, and sometimes at places like Target or Walmart. You can sprinkle it on her veggies, or syringe it to her. It might help to flavor it with some fruit juice.

Three is not an old age for a guinea pig. Most pigs make it to six or so, and some to even eight or nine or beyond.

DelilahRose

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Okay, great! And I only figured so since their normal expectancy is 3-5 years and she's been moving less for months now. I figured this might be when the curtains close.. not that I'd even give up on my baby. I want her around for 7+ years, too. :)

I'd like to say thank you to everyone for all the help and advice and encouragement. I'm learning a lot! Love can only heal so much, but determination and knowledge go a long way, too. Thanks again for everything so far. :D

DelilahRose

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 pm

I've given her the critical care. She seems to like it, actually! She went back toward the syringe for more a few times... before she refused haha. She still eats on her own, just smaller amounts than her normal eating. She normally cleans out every bit of food. Now, even a handful won't get eaten all the way. She gained some weight back since using critical care, which is good. I think she hasn't been eating her hay, so I think that may be affecting her appetite lately. I need to bed her cage with fleece to better track her stool..