New Pet Bedding Materials?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Since it is not a dietary thing, the soy should be okay. If you find they eat a lot of the bedding, maybe not so much!

Catie Cavie, write me at:

And I will reply with the details.

To change your email, go to your User Control Panel, select Profile and you will see:
Edit profile
Edit guinea pig avatar
Edit account settings
Manage “Remember Me” login keys

Select Edit account settings.

PBOreo

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Okay. So i cant figute out how/why i cant make my own topic but i see a lot of people use blankets as bedding? One forum i read said that she had "potty trained" them. Is that the case for everyone that uses blankets? I use pine shavings, which i know isnt the best but the paper isnt much better and i dont have the money to get the best bedding possible. And is 1 year old too late to train them?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:03 pm

You can't potty train a guinea pig. If you've got a cooperative pig, you can put some sort of litter pan where the pig pees and poops the most and catch a good bit of the output. If the pig doesn't cooperate, well, you've got a normal guinea pig. That said, they do pee and poop a lot where they eat and sleep, so something easily replaceable in those areas can help keep the cage clean.

To create a post, pick a forum, and at the top of the screen there'll be a button to start a new topic.

PBOreo

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Okay. And ya, they arent the most cooperative. Unfortunately between work and family always wanting me to do things, i cant interact with them as much as id like so theyve gotten used to having eachother rather than eachother and me. Theyre okay with being pet and held but not for more than 20-30 minutes or theyll pee. A lot. And i did try to look up how i create a topic and it told me the same thing but either i seriously looked over it or its just not there for some reason. Ill get "new posts" amd thats it

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Go to the forum. Look at the bottom left hand side for the button to start a new topic.

PBOreo

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Guess i am blind. I didnt think of it to be at the bottom, obviously. But so how does using fleece or whatever microfibrous material blanket/towel work? I see that one person here puts bedding under it but how do they get the pigs to not eat it?

PBOreo

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Because mine would most certainly try to eat any sort of fabric or anything i were to put in there

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:22 pm

They don't usually try to eat fleece. But fleece needs an absorbent layer underneath it to work properly -- it wicks the urine through to whatever's underneath, and stays dry itself. That way, the pigs aren't sitting/walking/laying on wet material.

PBOreo

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm

Hmm. Ill have to try it. Im sure it helps a bit with absorbing smells too? At least a little.

PBOreo

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:23 pm

What would you guys recommend putting under it? For longest lasting or best absorbtion.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Wood pellets. Cheapest by a long, long shot. Needs changing very seldom -- I'm on six months with what's currently in my cage, and I've got at least six more to go before they have to be changed.

You can get the pellets at a place that sells supplies for pellet stoves, but just be sure not to get any that have an accelerant added. Also avoid any that have a strong pine smell. Or, you can get the pellets used for horse stall bedding. I use those -- TerrAmigo brand. Either kind should cost you less than $8-$10 a bag.

The disadvantage of pellets is that they're heavy. But I just put a heavy garbage sack in the garbage can and roll it up next to the cage when i get ready to change. They're also a bit dusty when you pour them in the cage, but since I do that so seldom, it really doesn't cause a problem.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:13 pm

PBOreo, there are some good discussion threads about fleece on this link:

Using Fleece as Bedding