Abscess on back/lumbar area, Dana 4 year old Abyssinian

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Dana update: we're almost through the antibiotic period. Culture came back negative for bacteria, we are still awaiting pathology sometime this week.

We were initially giving Bactrim and Periactin 2x/day, Metacam in the AM, and a probiotic with pellets midday. We noticed Dana's GI system may have been a little iffy the first day or so post-op and the vet suggested we start Cisapride 2x/day which definitely helped. However, we noticed about 8 days post-op that she'd lost about 2oz (50g) over the course of 2 days when we ran out of her initial Periactin. Vet suggested giving Periactin again (we had extra from Nutmeg) and adjusting Cisapride to once daily. At this point we are only a couple of days into the new routine (Bactrim/Periactin 2x, Metacam/probiotic/Cisapride 1x/day), but there have still been some fluctuations. In the 2 days she’s been back on Periactin she went from 1159g to 1200g (her average is about 1175-1200). Today she was 1200 at 7:30am and somehow 1150 at 10:00pm (both weights taken before meds and veggies).

Is this kind of yo-yoing normal? I’d expected an increase when we started the Periactin again but the fluctuation within a day is freaking me out. Her behavior, eating habits, and pooping seem fairly normal and there’s really no issues with the stitches.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Fluctuations do happen. I would not worry at this point.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:13 pm

I only worry when a flux is continual, for instance 1100 - 1030 - 1000 - 960 - 1000 at this point the pig has pretty much had a straight downward trend, even if it is only thirty grams at a time. Up and down though I am seeing every day with my piggies. I don't worry unless it is like that or it is around 60 grams.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks, all. She has been holding a bit more steady around 1175g for the past couple of days.

Vet called back with the pathology results--benign, thank goodness--a fibrolipoma with inflammation/WBCs, definitely infected. Luckily the entire tumor was removed in surgery and we have not seen any issues with infection at the site since. 3 more days of Bactrim (total of 2wks) and Periactin, and we have been told to discontinue the Cisapride (as it was a precaution post-op and her poops seem normal now). I will be keeping an eye on her weight once she's off all the meds, I'm expecting her to need to adjust to not having them in her system.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Good news!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Yes indeed! Very good news!