Scurvy help/suggestions

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 am

Hi there!

I have a pig with scurvy, she's a sow about a year old. I just discovered that she had scurvy today (seriously, yesterday she seemed to be eating and drinking) I had ran out of guinea pig food for a couple days, so we had them on rabbit food until we could get more. I guess between the rabbit food and her cage mates stealing her parsley and bell peppers she didn't get enough C. Anyway, I discovered she had scurvy today, she's pretty weak now and isn't hungry. I gave her a "slurry" of the little tiny bit of Mazuri I had left and some parsley and Vitamin C, as well as a pellet from a healthy pig. I managed to get her to eat most of it. Anything else I should do besides give her slurry? I can't go to a vet right now since they're all closed, but what should I do for tonight besides what I've done already?

Thanks!
Fred

Kimera

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 am

I seriously doubt she could get scurvy so soon, it takes a long time of improper nutrition to develop symptoms. First the teeth get grey and grow week, break easily, then the pig has stiff joints and hop instead of walking. I have seen scurvy only in dumped seriously underweight pigs with malnutrition.
My point is, since scurvy is so rare in caring households, i think you should consider other health probloms of your piggie. For now, a sprig of parsley, a piece of sweet pepper should be enough. Get her to a vet as soon, as you can.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:31 am

Big ditto to Kimera. I would suspect something else is going on.

Right now, weigh daily, be prepared to hand feed, and see a vet asap.
handfeeding.html

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 am

Hi all!

Thanks for your suggestions. I assumed it was scurvy, but I'll see if I can get her to a vet. In the meantime I'll keep up a slurry routine.

Thanks again!
Fred

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi all,

She passed away just ten minutes ago, couldn't get her to a vet in time. Whatever took her took her fast. Thanks for your quick replies!

Thanks again,
Fred

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. That is incredibly quick. Make sure to monitor your other pig/s carefully in case whatever it was was contagious.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm very sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I am sorry you lost her.