Bloated Guinea Pig

iLena

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Sorry for asking in a new forum. So only vitamin C and A? the others vitamins are not neccesary? and his left eye seems have a bit catharact.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Good food and vitamin C. Vitamin A is actually fat soluble and you can run into problems if you give too much vitamin A.

If it is a cataract (not cloudiness due to an injury that should be looked into), there is not much to be done and not much harm in cataracts. Some guinea pigs develop them as they age.

iLena

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:15 am

Hello, i have a 6 years old piggy. Last night i noticed there is a blood in his urine. i went to the vet this morning but i live in a small city so there is no exotic vet. But after he peed two times, the color become less red and more like a pink but today the pee is back to normal again. The vet said there is no infection or bladder stone but based on the x ray, there is white spot around his kidney. The vet suggest just give him extra water so “the thing” will go off and do the x ray again 1 month later. But i’m not sure with the vet, what should i do now? thank you so much

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 am

I'm sorry your piggy is ill.

From your description, it seems likely to me that he has a mass of some sort on his kidney that's causing the bleeding, if the vet was correct in saying that there's no infection or bladder stone. Unfortunately, there's probably not much to be done about it. Surgery would be very invasive, and one I'd only trust to an experienced exotic vet, if at all. And at six years of age, your pig might not survive such a surgery.

I doubt that the water will do anything. But another x-ray in a month may tell you whether it's growing, or whether it was just a temporary anomaly. If it's still there, you'll have to think about what you want to do with him. If he's free of pain, I'd probably just spoil him until such time as the pain is not manageable. If not, hard as it may seem, euthanasia may be the best option.

I'm sorry it sounds so bleak. It would be a very hard thing to treat even in an excellent exotic vet's well-equipped office.

iLena

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 am

i will go to exotic vet in the different city tomorrow. hope the doctor will know what the cause of the blood urine. my piggy seems very active and eat well right now. i doubt the result of the x ray, because the previous doctor still use old x ray equipment and they use hair dryer to get the x ray photo. is cranberry juice will help him? thank you

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:39 am

A second opinion sounds like a good idea at this point. How did the vet determine there was no infection? Cranberry juice probably won't do much at this point. There is some evidence it can help prevent UTIs but no evidence it helps cure them. Let us know what the second vet says.

iLena

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:49 pm

the vet didn’t the the urine. she only said that if piggy having an infection, he will looks quite and not active but my piggy still so active and playing around like usual. that’s why the vet said there is no infection

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Definitely find another vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:24 pm

I see you are in Indonesia. I am guessing finding an experienced vet is a challenge.

Generally a culture is taken to identify a bacterial infection. Trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole (Bactrim here) can be effective for UTIs and bladder infections in general which can be present along with stones/sludge.

iLena

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:09 pm

yes is really hard to find an exotic vet. even a guinea pig is not common here. so means that bactrim can also be use to cure stone?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:04 pm

No, it won't cure stones. Nothing will cure those. If the stone is small enough, the pig may pass it, or it may require surgery. Bactrim treats urinary tract infections.

iLena

Post   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am

Hello,
today i went to other vet in different city, an exotic vet. He checked everything on my piggy including x ray, ultrasound, and urine test. The doctor said there is a very smooth crystal in my piggy, not dangerous and will flush out with the urine. But my piggy didn’t drink enough water due to cold weather so the urine become think and scratch the ureter. He gave an injection and medicine to heal and protect the ureter. What do you think about the diagnosa? is that make sense? thank you