Guinea pig nose inflamed?

Feddie+Friends

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:22 pm

My guinea pig Feddie seems to have a bit of a nose issue. It seems inflamed. Her nose is solid, and appears to jut out more than it used to. Her side profile looks different. She had a bit of a runny nose but we wiped it away. She rarely sneezes. Feddie is 6 years old

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

It's possible she's gotten a bit of hay stuck up in it. Can you see anything with a flashlight?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Is it tender? If she hasn't been to see a vet in a while, a general checkup might be a good idea.

Feddie+Friends

Post   » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 am

Thank you so much for these replies. I will be going for a vet checkup, as she also has had some weight loss problems and has been a little thirstier than usual. I did check her nose, it does not seem to be hat but rather some congestion perhaps. A little snotty thing. I wiped it out gently using a cotton round (no wool comes loose in her nostril) and warm water. It does not seem to be tender. When I wiped feddie's nose she didn't flinch, however that was with minimal pressure

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 am

Do you weigh regularly? (at least weekly) It can help give you an idea if something is wrong.

You might want to read (or reread):
weigh.html
uri.html
emergency.html

Feddie+Friends

Post   » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm

I have been weighing Feddie daily. She dropped 50 grams in the last 3 days. Tomorrow she has a vet appointment.
Another thing is she has been quite thirsty lately. I am not sure if it is a sign of type 2 diabetes, as she has displayed a couple other symptoms.
Feddie has weighed around 900 grams but now is at 710.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Let us know how the vet appointment goes. Hoping she gets better!

Feddie+Friends

Post   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Going to the vet now.
❤️

Feddie+Friends

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 am

So I never did say what happened. But the vet said she had an eye infection bony changes and a tooth root problem due to her mouth shape, as well as likely a slow moving gut due to her age. Feddie was on several medications as well as Oxbow Critical Care. Feddie was being syringe fed, making a huge effort to eat, but was still losing weight. Just yesterday, Feddie passed away. I was holding her, saying my goodbyes but that doesn't make it any easier. I am still so very thankful for her and the time we had together, as well as knowing I did absolutely everything I could. Thank you

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 am

I am so very sorry you lost her, Feddie+Friends. It is so hard to lose a long time loved companion. You have our sympathy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 am

I'm so very sorry you lost her.