Cloudy eye with slight discharge

adventurefinn

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I noticed my pigs eye is blue and cloudy it might be hay poke from what i was reading is ok to give him Tobramycin ophthalmic solution 0.3% i have no money to go to the vets right now I dont want him to lose his eye. I can't figure out how to upload a picture of it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm

If it is a crisp, clear photo, I can upload it for you.

I take it you read www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html ?

adventurefinn

Post   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 pm

I have a clear photo of his eye how can I send it to you? Yes i think its hay poke. I will take him to the vets in the morning I definitely dont want him to lose his eyeball hopefully they have a payment plan

Kimera

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:56 am

It may be a lesion from a hay poke, but it can also be a symptom of either a cataract - in which case there is not much you can do - or, a much more serious problem, a glaukoma. Glaukoma is associated with bulging of an eye and pain for the pig. It would need to be treated asap. Usually ophtalmic drops help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am

Send it here (sorry for not putting this up earlier):

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 am

For what it's worth, I had a pig who developed corneal ulcers very late in life. The opthalmic antibiotic my vet prescribed was a thick paste ointment, so that she couldn't shake it out of her eyes. I'm not sure if a liquid drop would be helpful to a pig, even if the antibiotic is ok for them. I've never heard of that antibiotic and have no idea if it's safe for pigs or not, perhaps someone else would know.

What wouldn't hurt is rinsing the eye out with sterile saline. That ought to be perfectly safe for your pig (though he's not going to like it one bit). If there is anything stuck behind the eyelid that you might not see at first, it might help rinse it out. It also may not help at all if there is an infection. But it should not hurt, at least.

adventurefinn

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 am

I took him to the vets they gave him and ointment caled Vetropolycin he is reponding to it fast it has cleared up alot!

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am

That's great to hear! I'm glad you took him to the vet- I know it can be tough financially but it's really the only sure thing when your pig's injured or sick.